Re: [scrumdevelopment] Using Scrum to track "personal projects"

  • Tom Hume
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2008
      We include demos of anything resulting from 20% time (well... 10% time in our case) during the sprint review meeting. In our case we're encouraging short, focused R&D or the time to be spent on learning. The former should result in something demonstrable, the latter in a short talk on what's been learned.

      On 27 Sep 2008, at 17:39, Chris Brookins wrote:

      We use Scrum now successfully for our work - we pass the Nokia test.  Now we considering instituting a policy for engineers to use a day a week (ala Google)  to work on whatever projects they want (within reason).    I'd to track this work using Scrum - but how?

      Anyone else have succes with this?

      I'd prefer not to just take the time out of the team's capacity which will prevent me from tracking the specific tasks and projects engineers are working on because I want to be able to report on that work and progress over many sprints.

      Should engineers create stories, have them sized, and break out sub tasks with hours where the sub tasks do not add up to more than 16 hours per 2 week Sprint?

      What about backlogs, prioritiziation?  For a Sprint Review of these items, I was thinking about a demo day once every 2 months for the entire team (of course the team is doing regular demo's every 2 weeks for the normal committed work)

      --
      Future Platforms Ltd
      t: +44 (0) 1273 819038