Story Structure ?

  • david.hicks_radtac
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
      I'm well aware of the structured format of a Story along these lines

      As a [ROLE]
      I want [REQUIREMENT]
      So that [BENEFIT]

      and the alternative unstructured text format of a Story, but has
      anyone any experience of a better way of writing stories for
      individual components of a very large piece of low level software like
      an Operating System?

      I am facing circumstances where it is not practicable to have every
      Story cut vertically through the system from top to bottom to deliver
      a complete slice of user/customer value. This is because the
      development teams are organised along module and component-lines.

      Given this, the choice either seems to be to use an API/other
      system/sub-system interface as the [ROLE] or to use an unstructured
      Story format. Neither of these seem like very good solutions, so I
      wonder if anyone has come across a better alternative?

      Any help much appreciated :-)
    • Gerard Meszaros
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
        david.hicks_radtac wrote:
        > I'm well aware of the structured format of a Story along these lines
        >
        > As a [ROLE]
        > I want [REQUIREMENT]
        > So that [BENEFIT]
        >
        > and the alternative unstructured text format of a Story, but has
        > anyone any experience of a better way of writing stories for
        > individual components of a very large piece of low level software like
        > an Operating System?
        >
        > I am facing circumstances where it is not practicable to have every
        > Story cut vertically through the system from top to bottom to deliver
        > a complete slice of user/customer value. This is because the
        > development teams are organised along module and component-lines.
        >
        > Given this, the choice either seems to be to use an API/other
        > system/sub-system interface as the [ROLE]
        I've seen this done with both use cases and user stories. It's a fact of
        life in large systems where the platform is built by a different team
        from the end user functionality (e.g. Telecom switches) or where the
        platform is the product and the "users" are other software delivered by
        different vendors (e.g. OS.) If the API exists, there must be some value
        to providing it so [BENEFIT] should be enumerable. If not, why are you
        building the functionality?

        Best,

        Gerard
        > or to use an unstructured
        > Story format. Neither of these seem like very good solutions, so I
        > wonder if anyone has come across a better alternative?
        >
        > Any help much appreciated :-)

        Gerard Meszaros
        1-403-827-2967 or me@...

        Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns - Refactoring Test Code".
        Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html
      • craig_w_brown
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "david.hicks_radtac"
          <david.hicks@...> wrote:

          > I'm well aware of the structured format of a Story along these lines
          >
          > As a [ROLE]
          > I want [REQUIREMENT]
          > So that [BENEFIT]
          >
          > and the alternative unstructured text format of a Story, but has
          > anyone any experience of a better way of writing stories for
          > individual components of a very large piece of low level software like
          > an Operating System?
          >
          > I am facing circumstances where it is not practicable to have every
          > Story cut vertically through the system from top to bottom to deliver
          > a complete slice of user/customer value. This is because the
          > development teams are organised along module and component-lines.
          >
          > Given this, the choice either seems to be to use an API/other
          > system/sub-system interface as the [ROLE] or to use an unstructured
          > Story format. Neither of these seem like very good solutions, so I
          > wonder if anyone has come across a better alternative?
          >
          > Any help much appreciated :-)

          An analyst Iam wortking with has a bucnh of user stories which begin
          something like

          "As a system I want..."

          She has included the exitsing infrastructure as a stakeholder to the
          new system.
        • ceezone
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008
            David,

            Take a dekko at this:
            http://sirenian.livejournal.com/

            Post on 14th May 2008.

            This is based on the BDD approach, an alternative format is suggested.
            I don't know if it helps you with the problem at hand, but might be
            useful for a later life....
            cheers
            Srinivas