Problem scoring "enhanced" Nokia Test

  • berglund.henrik
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm a bit confused by the Scoring of the Nokia Test that Jeff
      Sutherland presents in http://www.slideshare.net/gerrykirk/money-for-
      nothing-agile-2008-presentation. The question i'm not getting is:

      Question7: Burndown Chart

      - No burndown chart - 0
      - Burndown chart not updated by team - 1
      - Burndown chart in hours/days not accounting for work in progress - 2
      - Burndown chart only burns down when task in done - 4
      - Burndown only burns down when story is done - 5

      Is this talking about sprint burndown charts or release burndown
      charts? The scoring seems inconsistent, first one gets a low score (2)
      if work in progress is not shown, then the highest scores available
      (4 & 5) is awarded for only updating it when each task/story is done.

      Could it be that the first lines are for the sprint burndown chart
      and the last one is for the release burndown? If one takes the
      position that sprint burndown should not be affected by tasks in
      progress that would make it consistent. Seems strange though, if a
      task grows it wont show...

      Anybody?
    • Doug McQuilken
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
        Henrik,

        I post both task burndown & sprint burndown every day - both perspectives are useful.

        Regards,
        Doug

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
          I prefer the burn-up variety for stories, along with the burn-down for
          tasks.

          As tasks burn-down, the other *should* go up. I like the symmetry. :-)

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Doug McQuilken
          <dougmcq000@...> wrote:

          > Henrik,
          >
          > I post both task burndown & sprint burndown every day - both
          perspectives are useful.

          > Regards,
          > Doug

        • Henrik Berglund
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 24, 2008
            I guess my problem is interpretation Jeff's scoring system. You get
            low points if your charts do not show work in progress. Showing work
            in progress to me is updating the chart with the number of hours
            remaining on a task even if the task is not finished.

            Contradictory to this, you get high points if you wait until a task
            is finished with updating the task.

            Is this inconsistent or am I just not looking at it the right way?

            I know it is quite common not to give credits for non-finished
            stories when counting velocity, is this some kind of realated idea
            that you cant get any burndown unless you are really "done" with a
            task?

            BR

            Henrik