RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum discussion at XP list

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2002
      I just posted some information on my experiences with this:

      Scrum and Extreme Programming have been used in combination at a
      number of customers over the last year. Kane Mar from ThoughtWorks
      and I have published some recent articles (see
      www.controlchaos.com/XPKane.htm) and I gave a presentation regarding
      the management of this combination at the recent Software Development
      West conference in San Jose (see www.controlchaos.com/APMG.htm).

      In general, the business project manager (user) with the IT project
      manager sets up a vision, requirements, initial functionality,
      initial release plan, and ROI with the funding source (corporation's
      capital committee, etc.). They then start the project, delivering
      working functionality every Sprint (iteration). They report back to
      the steering committee or capital committee periodically on 1.)
      changes in the backlog/stories and release plan, 2.) changes in ROI
      as functionality is implemented, and 3.) general status of project.
      All the rest of the upward management stuff is gone. Downward, these
      two managers are only responsible for making the team as productive
      as possible and selecting with the team the most important next
      business functionality to build every Sprint (iteration).

      Ken Schwaber