Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint Zero

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 185 , Sep 15, 2008
      Exactly ... sprint 0 has become a phrase misused to describe the planning that occurs prior to the first sprint ... and since planning creates artifacts that often change, it should be minimized prior to the first sprint, and then occur every sprint at the sprint review/sprint planning meeting (just in time planning),
      Ken

      >From: aacockburn <acockburn@...>
      >Date: 2008/09/15 Mon PM 10:37:57 EDT
      >To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint Zero

      >--- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "markus_hjort"
      ><markus.hjort@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, namgyal damdul <damdulin@>
      >> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Hi,
      >> >
      >> > I am pretty new to Scrum. Can anyone tell me what is Sprint Zero,
      >> when and why was it introduced?
      >>

      >I have a sneaking feeling that someone was pressed about his
      >use of Scrum when he did something that had no obvious business
      >value at the start, and he invented "Oh, that was Sprint Zero!"
      >to get the peasants with the pickaxes away from his doorstep.
      >
      >... and then others thought that was a great answer and started
      >saying it, too. ... and then it became part of the culture.

    • Roy Morien
      Message 185 of 185 , Nov 24, 2008
        I think getting into a controversy on whether or not we should have Sprint 0 or -1 or whatever (leading to discussion on Sprint -5 :)) is a bit sophistic.

        Whatever you care to call it, I think it is essential to have it, to ensure that the development team is ready, willing and able to go. To a great extent it is the Envision phase, I think, which includes ensuring that the development team is approproiate to the task, that the whole general picture is understood, that everyone is singing from the same hymn book, getting all the ducks in a row and so on. There has been some discussion in this group previously about whether or not this pre-project phase (that is, pre iteration phase) should include decisions about and the adoption of development tools and standards. Some say this should emerge during later iterations, but I disagree.

        Having undertaken this phase, the project team is then able to competently and enthusiastically (one hopes) into the iteration cycle of the project proper.

        What Scott Ambler was talking about seems to me to be just this situation.

        Sprint 0, Sprint -1, Pre-Project Phase, Envision Phase ... what's in a name, a rose etc .....

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: andreas.schliep@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:42:54 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint Zero

        > > what he defines as "iteration -1" and "iteration 0"
        >
        > I do hear this kind of thing a lot, but it smells like procrastination
        > to me.
        >
        > What innovation is next, the 31 day Sprint?

        I have discussed the 'Sprint zero' matter a couple of times. The
        drawbacks seemed higher than the benefits:

        - Sprint zero does not produce working code
        - Sprint zero takes away the sense of urgency
        - Sprint zero leads to a misunderstanding of Scrum
        - Sprint zero disappoints stakeholders

        Whenever you need to set the stage before you can actually do Scrum,
        don't call it a Sprint or iteration. Once you are in a Sprint, you are
        doing Scrum - so the first Sprint is supposed to be Sprint One

        - deliver working code
        - refine backlog items / user stories
        - figure out the architecture outline
        - make stakeholders happy

        My regards to all the poor teams out there who are still in Sprint
        minus 5...

        Andreas

        Sign up for the Hotmail Road Trip today. Your dream beach house escape for summer!