Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM tools (was process with other methodologies)

  • Marco Abis
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 8:23 AM
      >A slight shift in the topic (as though it hadn't already shifted...)

      I love SmartBoard: http://www.smarttech.com/Products/smartboard/index.asp

      Sorry for the adv, I have notthing to do with them :)

      Marco Abis
      http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement
      http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI :: Software Process Improvement
    • Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 8:23 PM
        --- acockburn@... wrote:

        > That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
        > what is it
        > you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?

        To be blunt, I haven't found anything that doesn't work "well enough"
        on paper. Nothing. Somehow, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam,
        and the Pyramids were built without Excel or MS Project.

        Some "nice to put on the projector" items might be the burndown chart,
        the Sprint backlog, or the acceptance test results. But those things
        aren't that "real time", so there's no reason not to print them onto
        transparancies either.

        There are lots of reasons paper is *better* than computers. For
        starters, it is way higher resolution. A cork board with index cards
        can carry a lot more readable information than a computer projection.
        And it's easier to grab a card and huddle over it.

        There's also a lot of sub-channel information communicated when people
        watch each other grab cards and huddle, rather than staring at their
        own screens in some sort of virtual collaborative meeting space.

        http://gladwell.com/2002/2002_03_25_a_paper.htm

        I guess I was just being open-minded when I talked about putting things
        in the computer. For the projects I've led (fewer than 25 people, fewer
        than 18 months), index cards have gotten the job done.

        --
        Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
        http://www.braithwaite-lee.com

        The only programmers in a position to see all the differences in power
        between the various languages are those who understand the most
        powerful one. ~--Paul Graham

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7 3:49 AM
          On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 11:23:31 PM, Reginald Braithwaite-Lee wrote:

          > I guess I was just being open-minded when I talked about putting things
          > in the computer. For the projects I've led (fewer than 25 people, fewer
          > than 18 months), index cards have gotten the job done.

          Way ta go, keep the paper thing happening. I'm with you!

        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7 5:30 AM
            Reginald Braithwaite-Lee wrote:

            > --- acockburn@... wrote:
            >

            >>That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
            >>what is it
            >>you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?
            >
            > To be blunt, I haven't found anything that doesn't work "well enough"
            > on paper. Nothing. Somehow, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam,
            > and the Pyramids were built without Excel or MS Project.

            True, but then I don't know many software projects on which the
            programmers died (referring to the Pyramids, specifically). Some hve
            been tortured, but none have died. :)
            --
            J. B. Rainsberger,
            Diaspar Software Services
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7 12:46 PM
              I have found XPlanner (www.xplanner.org) to be extremely useful for
              organizing requirements, attaching to stories & tasks, estimating &
              recording actual hours worked (and generating a burn chart from that),
              etc.

              -Michael

              --

              Michael Dowling
              mdowling@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7 1:41 PM
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
                > That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
                what is it
                > you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?

                We have a customer that came up with an approach he calls the "10-
                foot UI". It's applicable to distributed development teams that use
                computerized tools in support of their software development process.
                The idea is that when you are doing release or iteration planning or
                maybe holding the daily standup, you have the distributed team(s)
                attend via a WebX/telephone conference. In the main location, the
                WebX session (displaying the backlog, issue list or somesuch) is
                projected on the wall so everyone can see it...that's where the 10-
                foot tall UI concept comes from. The other locations either attend by
                individually viewing the WebX session on their own computers or, if
                there are multiple people in the other location, attend as a group
                with the WebX session displayed via projector.