Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM tools (was process with other methodologies)

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
      In a message dated 4/6/2004 5:47:42 AM Mountain Daylight Time, raganwald@... writes:

      --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
      > I have successfully used:
      >
      > --cards
      > --a wiki
      > --rows in Excel
      > --TestTrack (a defect tracker, with each story/task entered as a
      > record)

      Whenever possible, I like to use corkboards or whiteboards.  I'm
      considering using a projector and a dedicated PC on my next project for
      things that don't work well on paper.

      http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/opinions/cork-board.html
      --->
      A slight shift in the topic (as though it hadn't already shifted...)
      I used to use flipchart and pen to gather questions from an audience and select topics from.
      Nowadays I'm preferring using a projector and a word processor projecting the questions up onto the screen.
      I felt a bit bizarre about it the last couple of times, as though I was a traitor to the lo-tech movement ;-), but I like it because it allows me to reorder the topics on the fly in ways that aren't practical with pen and paper.
      In particular, I was visiting a class that allegedly had studied Scrum, and they didn't get the idea of backlog lists at all, so for my hour I announced I would use a backlog list for their questions. I put up their questions in a 3-col table, let them vote on topics, putting the vote # in the second column, sorted by votes, and put iteration number 1 in the top 3 topics. Talked for 20 min, turned "1" into "1x", resorted and allowed new questions, etc.

      For a project and the backlog list, bits of paper can probably be reorganized quickly enough. In a lecture, they can't.

      For a project, it may be there are dozens (hundreds?) of items on the backlog list, which exceeds the natural threshold for bits of paper. (although I've seen a "paper Gantt" chart on the wall that had "lots" of bits of paper.)

      That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists .... what is it you found as the "things that don't work well on paper"  ?

      Alistair Cockburn

    • Marco Abis
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
        >A slight shift in the topic (as though it hadn't already shifted...)

        I love SmartBoard: http://www.smarttech.com/Products/smartboard/index.asp

        Sorry for the adv, I have notthing to do with them :)

        Marco Abis
        http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement
        http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI :: Software Process Improvement
      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004

          An additional interesting approach I read on the XP group from Josh Kerievsky is to use an overhead projector and transparencies. You can write on the transparencies during the meeting and have a bit more of a record of what was discussed or decided. Projecting a list of the product backlog items in an Excel spreadsheet and then annotating it could be useful.

          I haven’t tried this for Scrum sprint planning but long ago we used to do something similar with bug prioritization meetings.

          --Mike Cohn

          www.userstories.com

          > --TestTrack (a defect tracker, with each story/task entered as a
          > record)

          Whenever possible, I like to use corkboards or whiteboards.  I'm
          considering using a projector and a dedicated PC on my next project for
          things that don't work well on paper.

          http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/opinions/cork-board.html

          --->

          A slight shift in the topic (as though it hadn't already shifted...)

          I used to use flipchart and pen to gather questions from an audience and select topics from.

          Nowadays I'm preferring using a projector and a word processor projecting the questions up onto the screen.

          I felt a bit bizarre about it the last couple of times, as though I was a traitor to the lo-tech movement ;-), but I like it because it allows me to reorder the topics on the fly in ways that aren't practical with pen and paper.

          In particular, I was visiting a class that allegedly had studied Scrum, and they didn't get the idea of backlog lists at all, so for my hour I announced I would use a backlog list for their questions. I put up their questions in a 3-col table, let them vote on topics, putting the vote # in the second column, sorted by votes, and put iteration number 1 in the top 3 topics. Talked for 20 min, turned "1" into "1x", resorted and allowed new questions, etc.

          For a project and the backlog list, bits of paper can probably be reorganized quickly enough. In a lecture, they can't.

          For a project, it may be there are dozens (hundreds?) of items on the backlog list, which exceeds the natural threshold for bits of paper. (although I've seen a "paper Gantt" chart on the wall that had "lots" of bits of paper.)

          That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists .... what is it you found as the "things that don't work well on paper"  ?

          Alistair Cockburn

        • Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
            --- acockburn@... wrote:

            > That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
            > what is it
            > you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?

            To be blunt, I haven't found anything that doesn't work "well enough"
            on paper. Nothing. Somehow, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam,
            and the Pyramids were built without Excel or MS Project.

            Some "nice to put on the projector" items might be the burndown chart,
            the Sprint backlog, or the acceptance test results. But those things
            aren't that "real time", so there's no reason not to print them onto
            transparancies either.

            There are lots of reasons paper is *better* than computers. For
            starters, it is way higher resolution. A cork board with index cards
            can carry a lot more readable information than a computer projection.
            And it's easier to grab a card and huddle over it.

            There's also a lot of sub-channel information communicated when people
            watch each other grab cards and huddle, rather than staring at their
            own screens in some sort of virtual collaborative meeting space.

            http://gladwell.com/2002/2002_03_25_a_paper.htm

            I guess I was just being open-minded when I talked about putting things
            in the computer. For the projects I've led (fewer than 25 people, fewer
            than 18 months), index cards have gotten the job done.

            --
            Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
            http://www.braithwaite-lee.com

            The only programmers in a position to see all the differences in power
            between the various languages are those who understand the most
            powerful one. ~--Paul Graham

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
              On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 11:23:31 PM, Reginald Braithwaite-Lee wrote:

              > I guess I was just being open-minded when I talked about putting things
              > in the computer. For the projects I've led (fewer than 25 people, fewer
              > than 18 months), index cards have gotten the job done.

              Way ta go, keep the paper thing happening. I'm with you!

            • J. B. Rainsberger
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                Reginald Braithwaite-Lee wrote:

                > --- acockburn@... wrote:
                >

                >>That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
                >>what is it
                >>you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?
                >
                > To be blunt, I haven't found anything that doesn't work "well enough"
                > on paper. Nothing. Somehow, the Empire State Building, the Hoover Dam,
                > and the Pyramids were built without Excel or MS Project.

                True, but then I don't know many software projects on which the
                programmers died (referring to the Pyramids, specifically). Some hve
                been tortured, but none have died. :)
                --
                J. B. Rainsberger,
                Diaspar Software Services
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                  I have found XPlanner (www.xplanner.org) to be extremely useful for
                  organizing requirements, attaching to stories & tasks, estimating &
                  recording actual hours worked (and generating a burn chart from that),
                  etc.

                  -Michael

                  --

                  Michael Dowling
                  mdowling@...
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
                    > That's my speculating about projector and computer for lists ....
                    what is it
                    > you found as the "things that don't work well on paper" ?

                    We have a customer that came up with an approach he calls the "10-
                    foot UI". It's applicable to distributed development teams that use
                    computerized tools in support of their software development process.
                    The idea is that when you are doing release or iteration planning or
                    maybe holding the daily standup, you have the distributed team(s)
                    attend via a WebX/telephone conference. In the main location, the
                    WebX session (displaying the backlog, issue list or somesuch) is
                    projected on the wall so everyone can see it...that's where the 10-
                    foot tall UI concept comes from. The other locations either attend by
                    individually viewing the WebX session on their own computers or, if
                    there are multiple people in the other location, attend as a group
                    with the WebX session displayed via projector.