RE: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM process with other methodologies

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
      Hi Michael--

      I have experimented before with exactly what you describe. In introducing
      Scrum to a couple of different organizations I couldn't get them to
      initially accept the idea that we didn't need to think up all the
      requirements upfront. To get the project moving I had them do a two week
      "Requirements Capture Sprint" which focused just on getting initial
      requirements written down. We still went very lightweight, using much of the
      advice in Cockburn's "Effective Use Cases" book. They also couldn't get
      around the idea that there'd be no upfront architecting so we did another
      two week "Analysis and Design Sprint" (ADS) that was intended to allay that
      fear.

      Some advice:
      --realize this is a crutch and try to stop it as soon as you can. I never
      had to do it more than once, right at the start. By the second project no
      one needed it.
      --It does work well so there's no problem with it, except developers could
      be tempted to turn it into 4 weeks then 6, then 8.
      --Although when I've done a Requirements Capture Sprint in the past I've
      done it with use cases, I'd probably do it these days with it even shorter
      (1 week instead of 2) and use stories instead of use cases.

      This is written up (in only slightly more detail) in a paper I did for IEEE
      Computer last year. You can read it at:
      http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/articles.php and select "Introducing An
      Agile Process to an Organization."

      Good luck,

      --Mike Cohn
      www.userstories.com

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
        > Sounds like it would work for me, but why aren't the analysis and
        > artifact construction teaks part of the backlog so that they can be
        > prioritized with the rest?

        So, basically "Gather Requirements on Feature X" be a backlog item to be
        prioritized? That priority is implicit - engineering work cannot be
        done on a "feature" or "bug" without proper analysis (be it short or
        lengthy, depending on the organization and/or team). This is why I
        assume that a backlog item should already have gone through the
        requirements phase already - it is generally, almost always during this
        time that features and needs are found to be either a) necessary, b)
        unnecessary, or c) nifty, but not yet important. From there one can
        pass it to a backlog for prioritization, but only after knowing what the
        heck one wants.

        I know - this does sound a little waterfallish. But think of it this
        way - collaborative waterfall. JAD is similar to SCRUM whereas all
        members of a JAD team collaborate on the project. You're just
        "waterfalling" the collaboration from one phase to the next. And SCRUM
        allows for the (certain and expected) changes in those requirements.

        > Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
        > www.netobjectives.com
        > DrDan@...
        > office: 425-269-8628

        Off-topic - hey - are you from the same group that did (does?) the
        lectures/seminars in Bellvue on proper design techniques? You guys did
        a fabulous job, and with each lecture I walked away with a new idea of
        better design. Do you ever hold these lectures in the SF Bay Area
        (yeah, had to return to San Francisco - Seattle was too wet for me! :) ).

        --

        Michael Dowling
        mdowling@...
        PlanetOut Partners, Inc.
        415.834.6500 main | 415.834.6306 direct | 415.834.6502 fax
        www.gay.com * www.planetout.com * www.kleptomaniac.com * www.outandabout.com
      • Michael Dowling
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
          Excellent, Mike. For us, its going to take some time to "sprint"
          everything. Although - for us, having 2-week requirements gathering
          might be a bit much. 1 week max I would hope. But I see your point -
          the basic framework can be applied to each phase, slightly customized
          given the context.

          We're also considering the use of XPlanner as a tool (www.xplanner.org)
          to help us track our sprints and create burn graphs for management much
          easier. I've used it before (and *adore* it), but some folks also want
          to take a look at some other tools (excel just doesn't cut it). Basic
          requirement is that it be as simple as scrum itself.

          What have you had success in?

          Thank you for your comments - much appreciated!

          -Michael

          --

          Michael Dowling
          mdowling@...
          PlanetOut Partners, Inc.
          415.834.6500 main | 415.834.6306 direct | 415.834.6502 fax
          www.gay.com * www.planetout.com * www.kleptomaniac.com * www.outandabout.com
        • Roberts, David J (CNSP N6124V13)
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004

            Anyone interested,

            I find developers to be the most fearful of incremental development (without admitting).

            "You mean I have to revisit my code? I thought I was done with that..."

            David Roberts

            InnovaSystems

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
              Michael--
              For the most part you really want to do all that analysis work as part of
              the sprint. Keep in mind that requirements are like inventory and we don't
              want to pile up too much inventory that may never turn into finished
              software. Plus, if you do it too soon you lose the ability to have new
              learning impact those requirements and the knowledge goes stale quite
              quickly. A couple of short, to-the-point, upfront conversations don't hurt
              but when you start writing it all down, referring back to it, pointing to it
              as though it means something, then you've done too much requirements work
              upfront.

              --Mike Cohn
              www.userstories.com

              > Sounds like it would work for me, but why aren't the analysis and
              > artifact construction teaks part of the backlog so that they can be
              > prioritized with the rest?

              So, basically "Gather Requirements on Feature X" be a backlog item to be
              prioritized? That priority is implicit - engineering work cannot be
              done on a "feature" or "bug" without proper analysis (be it short or
              lengthy, depending on the organization and/or team). This is why I
              assume that a backlog item should already have gone through the
              requirements phase already - it is generally, almost always during this
              time that features and needs are found to be either a) necessary, b)
              unnecessary, or c) nifty, but not yet important. From there one can
              pass it to a backlog for prioritization, but only after knowing what the
              heck one wants.

              I know - this does sound a little waterfallish. But think of it this
              way - collaborative waterfall. JAD is similar to SCRUM whereas all
              members of a JAD team collaborate on the project. You're just
              "waterfalling" the collaboration from one phase to the next. And SCRUM
              allows for the (certain and expected) changes in those requirements.

              > Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
              > www.netobjectives.com
              > DrDan@...
              > office: 425-269-8628

              Off-topic - hey - are you from the same group that did (does?) the
              lectures/seminars in Bellvue on proper design techniques? You guys did
              a fabulous job, and with each lecture I walked away with a new idea of
              better design. Do you ever hold these lectures in the SF Bay Area
              (yeah, had to return to San Francisco - Seattle was too wet for me! :) ).

              --

              Michael Dowling
              mdowling@...
              PlanetOut Partners, Inc.
              415.834.6500 main | 415.834.6306 direct | 415.834.6502 fax
              www.gay.com * www.planetout.com * www.kleptomaniac.com * www.outandabout.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dan Rawsthorne
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
                Yes, "Analyze XXX" is a backlog item. One wouldn't do it unless XXX had
                a high enough priority to do it, right? In a system where we think of 50
                use cases up front we don't analyze all of them up front, we analyze
                them as we go.

                So, these analysis tasks must be on somebody's backlog. If that somebody
                is another, analysis, team, that's ok, but I prefer my team to be one,
                big, happy, one - including analysts, coders, testers, etc - with one,
                big, happy product backlog...

                Dan ;-)

                Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
                www.netobjectives.com
                DrDan@...
                office: 425-269-8628

                Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
                suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
                accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

                :) ).

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004

                  Michael,

                  I find the time features are found to be necessary always seems to come after you've developed something. You're lucky if otherwise is true for you.

                  I see developers having these meeting with customers. The developers leave thinking, "I've locked down these requirements!" and the customer leaves thinking "I know what they're going to build me". Both are problematic.

                  What did you mean when you said: "You're just "waterfalling" the collaboration from one phase to the next".

                  What are these phases?

                  David Roberts

                  TRMS Technical Lead

                  (619) 368-9621

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
                    I have successfully used:

                    --cards
                    --a wiki
                    --rows in Excel
                    --TestTrack (a defect tracker, with each story/task entered as a record)

                    My preference is for cards whenever we're collocated. I want to try out
                    XPlanner and VersionOne sometime but haven't tried either yet.

                    --Mike Cohn
                    www.userstories.com

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 5, 2004
                      On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 9:23:18 PM, Roberts, David J (CNSP N6124V13) wrote:

                      > I find the time features are found to be necessary always seems to come
                      > after you've developed something. You're lucky if otherwise is true for you.

                      > I see developers having these meeting with customers. The developers leave
                      > thinking, "I've locked down these requirements!" and the customer leaves
                      > thinking "I know what they're going to build me". Both are problematic.

                      Isn't that why Scrum ships software every month, and XP and Crystal even
                      more often?

                      Anyone can make the simple complicated.
                      Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus
                    • Jens Ƙstergaard
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                        I've used it before (and *adore* it), but some folks also want
                        > to take a look at some other tools (excel just doesn't cut it).
                        Basic
                        > requirement is that it be as simple as scrum itself.

                        Hi Michael

                        I have had absolutely no problem using excel and find that it works
                        vey well. If a team needs additional material for coordination, they
                        figure it out themselves.

                        If you sign in and look under files, I have posted an example of a
                        sprintlog that we use.

                        Jens
                      • Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                          --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
                          > I have successfully used:
                          >
                          > --cards
                          > --a wiki
                          > --rows in Excel
                          > --TestTrack (a defect tracker, with each story/task entered as a
                          > record)

                          Whenever possible, I like to use corkboards or whiteboards. I'm
                          considering using a projector and a dedicated PC on my next project for
                          things that don't work well on paper.

                          http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/opinions/cork-board.html

                          --
                          Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
                          http://www.braithwaite-lee.com

                          "Even when my proposals are seen as significant improvements, they are
                          often rejected on the grounds that they are not intuitive. It is a
                          classic Catch-22: The client wants something that is significantly
                          superior to the competition. But if it is to be superior, it must be
                          different. (Typically, the greater the improvement, the greater the
                          difference.) Therefore, it cannot be intuitive, that is, familiar. What
                          the client wants is an interface with at most marginal differences from
                          current practice... that, somehow, makes a major improvement." --Jef
                          Raskin

                        • Roberts, David J (CNSP N6124V13)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004

                            I would say so. That's why we do empirical.

                            David Roberts

                            TRMS Technical Lead

                            (619) 368-9621

                            On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 9:23:18 PM, Roberts, David J (CNSP N6124V13) wrote:

                            > I find the time features are found to be necessary always seems to come
                            > after you've developed something. You're lucky if otherwise is true for you.

                            > I see developers having these meeting with customers. The developers leave
                            > thinking, "I've locked down these requirements!" and the customer leaves
                            > thinking "I know what they're going to build me". Both are problematic.

                            Isn't that why Scrum ships software every month, and XP and Crystal even
                            more often?

                            Anyone can make the simple complicated.
                            Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus

                          • Claude Montpetit
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                              We just implemented a Scrum process and there are many stories that
                              were added just for requirement analysis. This became necessary
                              because the product is already sold and installed at some customer
                              locations (a server product). These customers have custom
                              requirements that we do for them and they (generally) pay us. So we
                              need to estimate the work required for it. Producing an estimate is
                              therefore a story that must be prioritized. Once the estimate is
                              completed and the quote sent to the customer, another story is created
                              in the product backlog:

                              Implement request X for customer Y based on estimate Z

                              Implementing Scrum is very new to me and I am not sure about how to
                              deal with, for example, urgent estimates that must enter the current
                              sprint. Telling the salesman to wait for the next iteration for the
                              quote is not usually a good thing as it means that the implementation
                              would in theory start very late:

                              - month 1: submit the request
                              - month 2: produce the estimate
                              - month 3: implement the request

                              This is not practical of course so we have been inserting estimates in
                              the current sprint and informed the customer that he must decide in
                              the current month whether he wants to go ahead or not if he wants it
                              to be done in the next sprint.

                              One of the strongest problem I had (and still have) implementing this
                              process was to convince people outside of the development team
                              (client, marketing, sales) that they should know about details of the
                              products (bugs, certain improvements that look "too technical"...)

                              Once the product backlog was transfered to "clients", and when I asked
                              them to prioritize items, they thought that there was too many
                              details. I then realized that they felt this way because they did not
                              understand the product enough, and that the development team had been
                              driving the product on their own since day one. Changing this around
                              is a real challenge. For this reason, I am currently acting as both
                              the Scrum master and the product owner until I can find someone
                              outside the dev team that will take the product owner role and manage
                              priorities.

                              But overall, the implementation of a well defined process (Scrum) has
                              been welcomed by the client/marketing/sales side as they know what we
                              are working on now and they have control on what is next.

                              -
                              Claude Montpetit
                              http://www.montpetit.net
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                                On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 5:58:14 PM, Claude Montpetit wrote:

                                > Implementing Scrum is very new to me and I am not sure about how to
                                > deal with, for example, urgent estimates that must enter the current
                                > sprint. Telling the salesman to wait for the next iteration for the
                                > quote is not usually a good thing as it means that the implementation
                                > would in theory start very late:

                                The teams I have worked with can estimate things at a rate of several
                                hundred per day, so I would think that if all you need is an estimate, you
                                could just wander in and ask. But of course there's this pig / chicken rule
                                in Scrum, so I don't know what the official answer should be.

                                On the other hand, my experience with sales people suggests that often
                                things need not be as urgent as they tend to be described ...

                              • Mike Cohn
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                                  If these are truly one or two at a time I handle them in the next morning's
                                  Daily Scrum. We'll do the Scrum meeting as normal then everyone will stay
                                  for a few minutes and we'll estimate a story or two from the previous day or
                                  that came up early in the morning.

                                  We routinely also slip in an occasional one-hour estimating session in each
                                  sprint just to look outward at future stories. That will eventually stop but
                                  we're working through a large backlog of unestimated stories.

                                  --Mike Cohn
                                  www.userstories.com

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 6, 2004
                                    Just in case it was misunderstood, what I was referring to in my post
                                    were not the usual product backlog estimates, but estimates used to
                                    establish a fixed price bid for some requested product extensions.
                                    Because they are for fixed price extensions, these estimation
                                    requests become stories on their own as opposed to the rough estimates
                                    that we set on most stories that enter the backlog.

                                    (I have personnally never worked on a team that can produce such
                                    estimates at a rate of hundred per day... must be great though ;)

                                    Claude

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 7, 2004
                                      On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 11:33:23 PM, Claude Montpetit wrote:

                                      > Just in case it was misunderstood, what I was referring to in my post
                                      > were not the usual product backlog estimates, but estimates used to
                                      > establish a fixed price bid for some requested product extensions.
                                      > Because they are for fixed price extensions, these estimation
                                      > requests become stories on their own as opposed to the rough estimates
                                      > that we set on most stories that enter the backlog.

                                      > (I have personnally never worked on a team that can produce such
                                      > estimates at a rate of hundred per day... must be great though ;)

                                      Yes. If it's a whole product, that would take a half-day or a day. I'm
                                      talking about story estimates.

                                      If the group is commonly called upon to do that, I guess I'd just plan for
                                      it in the team's velocity.

                                      Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO