Re: [scrumdevelopment] Coaching the Coach - How Long?

  • Richard Lawrence
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
      As other replies have pointed out, coaching itself requires a distinct
      set of skills apart from the content of the coaching (Scrum,
      engineering practices, whatever). How fast someone can become an
      effective coach depends both on how much experience with and
      disposition towards coaching they have and how much experience and
      knowledge they have with the content. For someone with some natural
      coaching skills and some agile project experience, less than a year to
      competent coach may be possible. If you're starting from scratch in
      either of those areas, my experience says it'll take 2-3 years if it
      happens at all.

      I agree on the combination of training and mentoring/apprenticeship.
      For this advanced set of skills, I prefer to emphasize the latter.
      This means that, even if it'll take 2-3 years to work unsupervised as
      a coach, with support from a more senior coach, someone could be
      functional considerably sooner.

      Richard

      --
      Richard Lawrence