Re: Estimating - with story points, hours or both?

  • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
      Late to the party, but has anyone mentioned T-Shirt sizes? That's
      almost always my preferred method as it's the most abstract and the
      hardest to "game". Of course it's predicated on doing commitment based
      planning rather than velocity based planning which some teams don't
      like. In my view getting the team wrapped up in velocity numbers
      (which we really only care about for long range planning of releases
      and such) is high risk and low value. But that's just me. :)

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Angela Druckman
      <angela.druckman@...> wrote:

      > Yes, thanks -
      >
      > I have a technique that works well for my teams- we estimate only
      with story points and don't use hours at all.  My teams have
      consistently estimated worse with hours than with a more relative
      scale.  I was more curious what others are doing and what they have
      found effective.