Re: Retrospective instructions?

  • jay_conne
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 2, 2008
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Richardson" <jean@...>
      wrote:
      <snip>
      > ...Kerth talks about is preparing for the retrospective
      > by walking around and assuring that all participants
      > will be showing up willing to participate; you also need
      > to have an understanding of why they won't if they will not.
      <snip>

      I have the retrospective be a 2nd part of the End-of-Sprint review.
      So my attendance issue is identical for both parts. It seems most
      effective to tightly couple them for the team, so their success is
      immediately appreciated and their need for improvement is similarly
      immediately reinforced. In practice, we take a break after the first
      part and reassemble the team for the second part. The team commits to
      be present for both parts as part of their team agreements up-front.

      Jay Conne
    • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 4, 2008
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Yes. I have some dear friends who used SAMOLO and loved it. I was
        > not as impressed as they were. For reasons such as you're referring
        > to, and others, it seemed to me that important things just couldn't
        > be brought up.

        It seems to me this has less to do with clever mnemonics or
        retrospective techniques (which are certainly useful tools) and more
        to do with the fact that retrospection is not equivalent to
        introspection either individually or collectively. A tendency towards
        superficial examination of past history without a requisite amount of
        serious introspection cannot have a significant impact on future
        development. As with all things Scrum related, teams will get out of a
        retrospective whatever they put in. The trick for the ScrumMaster or
        coach is to inspire them to be more introspective individually and as
        a group. I don't think there is a mnemonic or prescriptive technique
        that provides that.