Re: [scrumdevelopment] Retrospective instructions?

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Alan,

      Alan Dayley wrote:
      > I waiting for the "Agile Retrospectives" book to arrive so it may be
      > the resource I'm looking for. In the mean time, I'm finding little on
      > the web to help define retrospective techniques.

      You should have purchased the PDF version directly from the Pragmatic
      Programmers site. Not too late. ;)

      > For example, many blog posts and photos mention doing a "time line"
      > retrospective or using "mad, sad, glad" or some other thing
      > structures. But few, if any, provide a definition of HOW to do "mad,
      > sad, glad" or any of the other methods. Is usually "We used and here
      > are the results...," which is fine for the blog writer's purpose but I
      > want to learn the details of the "" part.

      In my write-up, I tried to give a brief synopsis of each thing I did:

      http://www.cornetdesign.com/2008/07/agile-retrospectives.html

      > One of my weaknesses is a tendency to seek complex solutions. Maybe
      > retrospective methods are so simple that I'm looking for more
      > complexity where there is none. Is there a resource of outlines of
      > how to do these different retrospective methods?

      There's the book you've already got. Bill Wake posted a good overview of
      some patterns here: http://xp123.com/xplor/xp0509/index.shtml

      There's also the Retrospectives web site: http://www.retrospectives.com/

      That should get you started. I believe there is a mailing list somewhere
      as well. And if worse comes to worse, I'd be happy to answer questions
      about what we're doing.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 4, 2008
        <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Yes. I have some dear friends who used SAMOLO and loved it. I was
        > not as impressed as they were. For reasons such as you're referring
        > to, and others, it seemed to me that important things just couldn't
        > be brought up.

        It seems to me this has less to do with clever mnemonics or
        retrospective techniques (which are certainly useful tools) and more
        to do with the fact that retrospection is not equivalent to
        introspection either individually or collectively. A tendency towards
        superficial examination of past history without a requisite amount of
        serious introspection cannot have a significant impact on future
        development. As with all things Scrum related, teams will get out of a
        retrospective whatever they put in. The trick for the ScrumMaster or
        coach is to inspire them to be more introspective individually and as
        a group. I don't think there is a mnemonic or prescriptive technique
        that provides that.