Re: [scrumdevelopment] Middle-up-down vs. bottom-up

  • Linda Rising
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 3:12 PM
      Hi Guys,

      All the teams at AG were self-directed but that just means that the team adopted the
      various management roles. The ScrumMaster was just another role and someone
      took that on and tracked the backlog.

      Linda

      Mike Beedle wrote:
      Jonas wrote:
      Ken,
      The reason why I asked about self-directing teams was
      the following sentences by Mike Beedle:
      "SCRUMs can also be held by self-directed teams, in
      that case someone is designated as the scribe and
      also logs the completed and planned activities
      of the Backlog and the existing Blocks. All
      activities from the Backlog and the Blocks are then
      distributed among the team members for resolution."
      <http://jeffsutherland.org/scrum/scrum_pattern.html>

      Has this been "proven" to be unrealistic?

      Ken wrote:
      Not in my experience. However, I've either been on
      critical projects or projects where the organization
      was changing its culture. Both required dedicated
      ScrumMasters. In a well implemented Scrum organization,
      the teams could be self-directing.

      Jonas, Ken:

      It is possible to have self-directed teams with no Scrum Master.

      But I have only done that twice in 6 years. Basically,
      Ken hits the nail on the head, it requires a very
      special environment:

      - high Scrum experience for all, if not all members
      of the team

      - team members with established relationships with
      other members of the organization and with the
      respect of managers (because some of their chosen
      assignments are "issues"; therefore, they must
      be able to represent themselves to resolve them).

      - team members ability to keep and manage backlog
      (again, not an easy thing to do, but it is
      possible, specially in smaller teams.)

      - team members with the ability to coordinate with
      the customer and the sponsor of the team about
      needs, demos (Spring Review Meeting), planning
      (Sprint Planning Meeting),

      etc.

      Unfortunately these requir ements mean that self-directed
      teams are hard to put in place and hard to keep in
      balance. Simply put, it is safer to have a good
      Scrum Master,

      - Mike

      Buy Stock for $4
      and no minimums.