What do you when the ScrumMaster is sick?

  • Homer, Tony
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004
      There have been a number of times when I felt like calling in sick, but I felt that I couldn't fail to be present at the 9:30 a.m. Daily Scrum.  Does anyone have any plan in place for how to handle the absence of the ScrumMaster due to illness?  There have been a few times In the past when I've asked for a volunteer to fill the ScrumMaster role when I go to a seminar or am on vacation, but these were planned absences.  In the case of unplanned absences, is it adequate to email the team that morning to let them know that I won't be able to attend, but to go on without me?
    • Cook Linda
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004
        Message
        Whenever I cannot be present for a scrum meeting, I email the team, requesting that someone (the team decides who) following up with me later to advise of any actions/interventions/changes needed.  The team has acces to the backlog and can make their respective updates.  This works well for my teams.
        There have been a number of times when I felt like calling in sick, but I felt that I couldn't fail to be present at the 9:30 a.m. Daily Scrum.  Does anyone have any plan in place for how to handle the absence of the ScrumMaster due to illness?  There have been a few times In the past when I've asked for a volunteer to fill the ScrumMaster role when I go to a seminar or am on vacation, but these were planned absences.  In the case of unplanned absences, is it adequate to email the team that morning to let them know that I won't be able to attend, but to go on without me?

      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004

          As a ScrumMaster I will often **intentionally** miss the daily scrum if I feel the team needs to do more without me. I happened to be out last Friday when the team had to plan the next sprint. Normally I “help” that process with this team by asking some questions and taking some notes. I came in late—2 hours into a 4 hour planning session. The team had done better than ever without me. The same happens in the daily Scrums. Don’t assign anyone, have them figure it out. It’s not really a meeting that needs to be run—it’s just developers talking to developers. I have intentionally missed daily scrums by just coming in late or by intentionally scheduling an “important call” at the same time, etc.  When you can’t be there, yes, just email them and tell them to go on without you.

          --Mike Cohn

          www.userstories.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004
            Now this sounds like a great pattern :-)! It seems related to one Dick Gabriel told me -- to "pretend" you don't know
            something (nothing major, of course!) to let someone have a chance to tell you something for a change instead of having
            information always flow one way.

            Linda

            Mike Cohn wrote:

[...]

          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004
              Tony,
              The ScrumMaster is responsible for the Scrum process working. You don't have to be at all of the meetings, you only have to make sure they happen and work. Make sure the team knows that the Daily Scrum occurs for their benefit, not yours, and should occur in your presence or absence.
              Ken

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2004
                Kind of like parents. Pleased that the grown children can do without them, but disappointed that they don't need them.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 30, 2004
                  That is what you teach us Ken. I do belive you are right and I do
                  myself, as a Scrum Master, feel responsible for the Scrum proces and
                  especially the daily scrums. Just as business owners, project
                  managers, other managers, has to learn to let go, I as a Scrum master
                  has to learn to let go.
                  During sprint planning I never attend and the team can do better
                  without me (they are the experts). I do however fix problems for
                  them, such as getting extension cords, getting software, getting
                  calculators or whatever they need. Beeing avaible for them. I pride
                  myself in getting the problems out of the way as soon as possible,
                  showing the team that I care.
                  I do belive Mike's idea of intentionally missing a daily scrum is
                  good thinking and I will give it a try.
                  Jens

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"

                  Service.
                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 30, 2004
                    And the best thing is that if you skip a daily Scrum or two, you can use
                    that time to draw nice, pretty Gantt charts. :)

                    --Mike Cohn
                    www.userstories.com

                    <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
                    > Kind of like parents. Pleased that the grown children can do
                    without them,
                    > but disappointed that they don't need them.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Deb
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 30, 2004
                      Our ScrumMaster has been sick for 3 days now.

                      Wouldn't it be great if we had a ScrumMaster HAT?
                      Bill would email and say, Deb wear the hat today, OK?
                      And our Clients and the rest of IT would know not to bother the team,
                      only bother the hat person.

                      (It would also draw attention to too much time spent in outside
                      meetings by the ScrumMaster - sticking out like a sore thumb with
                      that Dr. Seuss hat)

                      Hmmm... depending on your workplace, maybe the hat should come with a
                      bottle of Valerian (herbal nerve calmant), too?

                      Just a thot. I needed the distraction - I'm "it" today.
                      :-)
                      deb

                      PS: with Scrum, the boss being away is not such a big deal - the
                      rules are so simple, we've all learned them by now. Just one of the
                      reasons I love Scrum.
                    • J. B. Rainsberger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 30, 2004
                        Deb wrote:
                        > Our ScrumMaster has been sick for 3 days now.
                        >
                        > Wouldn't it be great if we had a ScrumMaster HAT?
                        > Bill would email and say, Deb wear the hat today, OK?
                        > And our Clients and the rest of IT would know not to bother the team,
                        > only bother the hat person.

                        Doesn't the Reluctant Leader pattern take care of this? Doesn't someone
                        just step forward and take control?
                        --
                        J. B. Rainsberger,
                        Diaspar Software Services
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
                          <jbrains@r...> wrote:
                          > Deb wrote:
                          > > Our ScrumMaster has been sick for 3 days now.
                          > >
                          > > Wouldn't it be great if we had a ScrumMaster HAT?
                          > > Bill would email and say, Deb wear the hat today, OK?
                          > > And our Clients and the rest of IT would know not to bother the
                          team,
                          > > only bother the hat person.
                          >
                          > Doesn't the Reluctant Leader pattern take care of this? Doesn't
                          someone
                          > just step forward and take control?
                          > --
                          > J. B. Rainsberger,
                          > Diaspar Software Services
                          > http://www.diasparsoftware.com :: +1 416 791-8603
                          > Let's write software that people understand
                        • Deb
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                            <jbrains@r...> wrote:
                            > Deb wrote:
                            > > Our ScrumMaster has been sick for 3 days now.
                            > >
                            > > Wouldn't it be great if we had a ScrumMaster HAT?
                            > > Bill would email and say, Deb wear the hat today, OK?
                            > > And our Clients and the rest of IT would know not to bother the
                            team,
                            > > only bother the hat person.
                            >
                            > Doesn't the Reluctant Leader pattern take care of this? Doesn't
                            someone
                            > just step forward and take control?

                            I'm not sure... hat is not for pigs (they're close at hand, it's easy
                            enough to tell them), but for chickens who wander over
                            with "emergencies"...

                            Can I read about this pattern, and others like it, somewhere?
                            deb
                          • J. B. Rainsberger
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 31, 2004
                              Deb wrote:

                              >>Doesn't the Reluctant Leader pattern take care of this? Doesn't
                              > someone
                              >>just step forward and take control?
                              >
                              > I'm not sure... hat is not for pigs (they're close at hand, it's easy
                              > enough to tell them), but for chickens who wander over
                              > with "emergencies"...

                              I see. They need /one/ consistent person to go see, rather than just
                              asking anyone. Makes sense.

                              > Can I read about this pattern, and others like it, somewhere?

                              Kent wrote about the reluctant leader in his XPLeadership draft, which
                              appears to have gone nowhere. I don't think I have a copy lying around.
                              --
                              J. B. Rainsberger,
                              Diaspar Software Services
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 14 8:19 AM
                                J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

                                > Kent wrote about the reluctant leader in his XPLeadership draft, which
                                > appears to have gone nowhere.

                                <http://makeashorterlink.com/?C57A25508>

                                Regards, Ilja