Code Ownership - Individual or Collective? (was Re: Refactoring Requirements)

  • Bill Wake
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 27, 2004
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Brad Appleton <brad@b...>
      wrote:
      > One thing that always struck me as a bit "out of sorts" was
      >an area where there didn't seem to be "alignment" between the
      >org-patterns and XP, and that is on the issue of code-ownership.
      >Cope's org-patterns clearly called out code-ownership as a
      >pattern of hyperproductive software development organizations

      I take this as a place where XP has consciously taken a different
      path, as a sort of social experiment. In a code ownership
      environment, you're building in delays and handoffs ("could you add
      this for me once you finish what you're working on?"). There's a
      theorem in queueing theory that if you have specialized resources
      you'll be less responsive than if you have uniform resources. Shared
      ownership tries to leverage that.

      Of course, translating back to people, we're not uniform resources.
      XP can in a sense pretend to have uniformly competent people by
      pairing, standups, judicious task selection, expert-in-earshot (one
      room), and other communication efforts. (But note that Cope's
      patterns use some of these things too, e.g., pairing.)

      >(tho I don't recall if it was exclusive code-owner access or
      >something more like a code "steward" for individual
      >modules/components).

      The version in PLOP 1 says "Each code module in the system is owned
      by a single Developer. Except in unusual, explicit circumstances,
      code may be modified only by its owner."

      --
      Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com