Re: [scrumdevelopment] new tool questionnaire

  • Stephen Haberman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2004
      On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:13:20AM -0500, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > I hope the group will discuss this topic a bit. I'm interested in how
      > Scrum projects are tracked in real life.

      Me too. :-)

      > Note that I'm an XP person, not a Scrum person. Evaluate this
      > accordingly, perhaps by ignoring it.

      Given that best practice Scrum seems to include the XP engineering
      practices, I doubt ignoring your input would be prudent. Easier and less
      stressful, perhaps, but not prudent. :-)

      > > 5. Have you rejected other tools in the past? If so, why?
      >
      > Yes. I believe that focus on tools takes away from the focus on the people
      > and on the creation of the software. I envision a manger facing his screen
      > while people are actually doing things right behind him.

      Yes, good point. I've had to re-learn this several times when I start
      getting feature-happy, as being a tool builder, I find myself
      (unconciously) biased.

      Do you have any ideas of what would keep a tool from becoming more
      important than the people, e.g. the manager facing his screen? (Ideally
      other than your extreme of no tool at all, which I respect, but for
      better or worse, I have a grade tied to producing some sort of Scrum
      tool).

      Perhaps I'm asking too much, but I'd love to have a series of
      scenarios/thought expirements that would highlight whether the tool is
      becoming too much and suggest ways of keeping it in a supporting role
      without sacrificing capabilities (perhaps that is impossible). I'll try
      to think of some later in the day.

      I like the transparency you brought up earlier of big wall charts.
      Besides the no-password access, which is good, I wonder if there are
      other ways for getting data back out of a tool and into the open. E.g.
      printing off daily big wall charts (mentioned in an XP book?), assuming
      you have the hardware. Projectors come to mind, but I don't imagine you
      could have one running all day.

      > > 7. Would you be interested in offering feedback on beta releases of
      > > the tool?
      >
      > Yes. And my associate Chet Hendrickson is working on a book about tools for
      > agile processes. He would probably be interested as well.

      Cool, thanks for mentiong that. I'll send a note to Chet as well.

      - Stephen