Re: Command and control to start

  • david.hicks_radtac
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 4, 2008
      Not sure if this will help but I have often found that people are
      less than enthusiastic about changing the way they work using an
      approach suggested by someone else - whether it be Scrum or any other
      new practice.

      In all circumstances I have tried to identify that person's goals -
      what they are truly trying to acheive in thier work, and what
      motivates them - and then help them to see how the new working
      practices can help them acheive those goals. If I can do this (and it
      is often difficult), then it always helps.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...>
      wrote:

      > Writing about this topic in my Scrum adoption journal, I seem to
      have
      > arrived at a conclusion that should work for me. However, the
      great and
      > MUCH more experienced minds here can help solidify my confidence.
      If I
      > may indulge, let me describe my thought train.
      >
      > Our Scrum adoption is going slowly but positively. I have
      attempted to
      > teach the team about Scrum and agile principles to allow them to
      select
      > which pieces they want to adopt as we go. This has worked well with
      our
      > starting adoption of minimizing team effort interruptions and
      meeting
      > interruptions.
      >
      > But we have stopped adopting and the team has not asked for
      anything more.

      > They only have a single, one-hour presentation on the Scrum
      framework
      > and some written materials in their knowledge bank. I am confident
      that
      > they either don't know what to ask for or don't see the practical
      value
      > of specific practices.
      >
      > We still very much have a Team Lead providing command and control
      in the
      > most positive way possible. (Another place where a self-directed
      team
      > is not yet realized.) The Lead has stated two things the pushed me
      > my conclusion, paraphrasing: "We don't need training. We already
      know
      > how to get the job done," and "Just tell us a practice to do and
      we'll
      > do it."
      >
      > Overcoming the lack of desire to receive instruction is a slightly
      > different topic that I'll choose to ignore at present. Focusing on
      the
      > second point, I did not want "command and control" the team in their
      > adoption of Scrum.
      >
      > Then I remembered an question and answer exchange during ScrumMaster
      > training. The question was "What is the usual way to introduce
      Scrum in
      > an organization?" Trainer Michael described a two-day kick off
      going
      > through introduction, exercises, creating a real backlog, sprint
      > planning and go.
      >
      > And it hit me. The described introduction process is "command and
      > control," of a sort. And that makes sense to me now. When
      learning a
      > new technique, the student must be told what to do and the real
      learning
      > is in the doing. Especially when learning Scrum, the learning, and
      > proving value, is definitely in the doing.
      >
      > I know, based on team desires and management reluctance to surrender
      > time for training, a multi-hour "immersion" or an attempt to change
      > everything all at once will not work in my situation. But, I think,
      > based on the Team Lead's desire to be told and an initial
      > "teacher/student" relationship, it safe for me as ScrumMaster to
      pick
      > practices that the team can learn by doing. Command in the most
      > self-directed team manner possible.
      >
      > Any thoughts or insights for me about my thinking here?
      >
      > Alan

    • david.hicks_radtac
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2008