Re: [scrumdevelopment] Command and control to start

  • Alan Dayley
    • david.hicks_radtac
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2008
        Not sure if this will help but I have often found that people are
        less than enthusiastic about changing the way they work using an
        approach suggested by someone else - whether it be Scrum or any other
        new practice.

        In all circumstances I have tried to identify that person's goals -
        what they are truly trying to acheive in thier work, and what
        motivates them - and then help them to see how the new working
        practices can help them acheive those goals. If I can do this (and it
        is often difficult), then it always helps.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...>
        wrote:

        > Writing about this topic in my Scrum adoption journal, I seem to
        have
        > arrived at a conclusion that should work for me. However, the
        great and
        > MUCH more experienced minds here can help solidify my confidence.
        If I
        > may indulge, let me describe my thought train.
        >
        > Our Scrum adoption is going slowly but positively. I have
        attempted to
        > teach the team about Scrum and agile principles to allow them to
        select
        > which pieces they want to adopt as we go. This has worked well with
        our
        > starting adoption of minimizing team effort interruptions and
        meeting
        > interruptions.
        >
        > But we have stopped adopting and the team has not asked for
        anything more.

        > They only have a single, one-hour presentation on the Scrum
        framework
        > and some written materials in their knowledge bank. I am confident
        that
        > they either don't know what to ask for or don't see the practical
        value
        > of specific practices.
        >
        > We still very much have a Team Lead providing command and control
        in the
        > most positive way possible. (Another place where a self-directed
        team
        > is not yet realized.) The Lead has stated two things the pushed me
        > my conclusion, paraphrasing: "We don't need training. We already
        know
        > how to get the job done," and "Just tell us a practice to do and
        we'll
        > do it."
        >
        > Overcoming the lack of desire to receive instruction is a slightly
        > different topic that I'll choose to ignore at present. Focusing on
        the
        > second point, I did not want "command and control" the team in their
        > adoption of Scrum.
        >
        > Then I remembered an question and answer exchange during ScrumMaster
        > training. The question was "What is the usual way to introduce
        Scrum in