Re: [scrumdevelopment] Command and control to start

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2008
      Alan Dayley wrote:
      > I ran into an unexpected and strong resistance to a 1 hour meeting
      > introducing the framework last week. I still have strong resistance to
      > even the < 15 minute daily team meeting and statements that "I already
      > know how to do the work. I don't need training." A 1 hour meeting of
      > any kind is difficult to schedule, even if the end result would be a
      > tremendous payoff.

      Is the resistance from the whole team, or a certain team lead?

      > It is an impediment of surprisingly large proportions, discovered when
      > attempting the above mentioned intro meeting. This is the main reason I
      > have not yet pushed a retrospective.

      Perhaps do a brown bag / lunch n' learn session. But the fact that their
      schedules are so tight that even a one hour meeting is tough is a red
      flag on many different levels.

      > Management wants Scrum. The team wants results and if Scrum gets them
      > there, that's fine with them. But, none of them "get it" yet and change
      > is hard. The only other two people that "get it" in the company are the
      > executive sponsor and one other new CSM who is currently doing a project
      > of one person, himself.

      That's an interesting statement. If I had to take a guess, they want the
      /end result/ of using agile practices like Scrum. What this likely means
      is that they don't even understand what the impediments of their own
      teams are.

      Have you looked at Fearless Change? I'd also recommend looking at some
      of the Lean topics Alan talked about in one of his replies to you.

      > I must say, this has been a very interesting process of "people
      > watching" so far. It's amazing to see the team, and myself, go through
      > this process. Proof that Scrum is about people, not technology!

      Amen to that. But you seem to have a long road ahead of you. I hope you
      are able to keep us informed of how things are going!

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2008
        Not sure if this will help but I have often found that people are
        less than enthusiastic about changing the way they work using an
        approach suggested by someone else - whether it be Scrum or any other
        new practice.

        In all circumstances I have tried to identify that person's goals -
        what they are truly trying to acheive in thier work, and what
        motivates them - and then help them to see how the new working
        practices can help them acheive those goals. If I can do this (and it
        is often difficult), then it always helps.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...>
        wrote:

        > Writing about this topic in my Scrum adoption journal, I seem to
        have
        > arrived at a conclusion that should work for me. However, the
        great and
        > MUCH more experienced minds here can help solidify my confidence.
        If I
        > may indulge, let me describe my thought train.
        >
        > Our Scrum adoption is going slowly but positively. I have
        attempted to
        > teach the team about Scrum and agile principles to allow them to
        select
        > which pieces they want to adopt as we go. This has worked well with
        our
        > starting adoption of minimizing team effort interruptions and
        meeting
        > interruptions.
        >
        > But we have stopped adopting and the team has not asked for
        anything more.

        > They only have a single, one-hour presentation on the Scrum
        framework
        > and some written materials in their knowledge bank. I am confident
        that
        > they either don't know what to ask for or don't see the practical
        value
        > of specific practices.
        >
        > We still very much have a Team Lead providing command and control
        in the
        > most positive way possible. (Another place where a self-directed
        team
        > is not yet realized.) The Lead has stated two things the pushed me
        > my conclusion, paraphrasing: "We don't need training. We already
        know
        > how to get the job done," and "Just tell us a practice to do and
        we'll
        > do it."
        >
        > Overcoming the lack of desire to receive instruction is a slightly
        > different topic that I'll choose to ignore at present. Focusing on
        the
        > second point, I did not want "command and control" the team in their
        > adoption of Scrum.
        >
        > Then I remembered an question and answer exchange during ScrumMaster
        > training. The question was "What is the usual way to introduce
        Scrum in