Command and control to start

  • Alan Dayley

      Writing about this topic in my Scrum adoption journal, I seem to have
      arrived at a conclusion that should work for me. However, the great and
      MUCH more experienced minds here can help solidify my confidence. If I
      may indulge, let me describe my thought train.

      Our Scrum adoption is going slowly but positively. I have attempted to
      teach the team about Scrum and agile principles to allow them to select
      which pieces they want to adopt as we go. This has worked well with our
      starting adoption of minimizing team effort interruptions and meeting
      interruptions.

      But we have stopped adopting and the team has not asked for anything more.

      They only have a single, one-hour presentation on the Scrum framework
      and some written materials in their knowledge bank. I am confident that
      they either don't know what to ask for or don't see the practical value
      of specific practices.

      We still very much have a Team Lead providing command and control in the
      most positive way possible. (Another place where a self-directed team
      is not yet realized.) The Lead has stated two things the pushed me to
      my conclusion, paraphrasing: "We don't need training. We already know
      how to get the job done," and "Just tell us a practice to do and we'll
      do it."

      Overcoming the lack of desire to receive instruction is a slightly
      different topic that I'll choose to ignore at present. Focusing on the
      second point, I did not want "command and control" the team in their
      adoption of Scrum.

      Then I remembered an question and answer exchange during ScrumMaster
      training. The question was "What is the usual way to introduce Scrum in
      an organization?" Trainer Michael described a two-day kick off going
      through introduction, exercises, creating a real backlog, sprint
      planning and go.

      And it hit me. The described introduction process is "command and
      control," of a sort. And that makes sense to me now. When learning a
      new technique, the student must be told what to do and the real learning
      is in the doing. Especially when learning Scrum, the learning, and
      proving value, is definitely in the doing.

      I know, based on team desires and management reluctance to surrender
      time for training, a multi-hour "immersion" or an attempt to change
      everything all at once will not work in my situation. But, I think,
      based on the Team Lead's desire to be told and an initial
      "teacher/student" relationship, it safe for me as ScrumMaster to pick
      practices that the team can learn by doing. Command in the most
      self-directed team manner possible.

      Any thoughts or insights for me about my thinking here?

      Alan
    • david.hicks_radtac
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 4, 2008
        Not sure if this will help but I have often found that people are
        less than enthusiastic about changing the way they work using an
        approach suggested by someone else - whether it be Scrum or any other
        new practice.

        In all circumstances I have tried to identify that person's goals -
        what they are truly trying to acheive in thier work, and what
        motivates them - and then help them to see how the new working
        practices can help them acheive those goals. If I can do this (and it
        is often difficult), then it always helps.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...>