Need help with a retrospective

  • Johanna Rothman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
      All,

      I'm the conference chair for Agile 2009, and am trying to figure out
      how to run a a completely dispersed retrospective for Agile 2008. Has
      anyone here used cardmeeting.com? Did it help you gather data?

      Have you used any other electronic form of gathering data?

      Thanks,
      Johanna
      --
      Rothman Consulting Group, Inc. 781-641-4046
      Speaker, Author, Consultant - Managing Product Development
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
        Hi Johanna,

        If I may - perhaps have a retrospective Thursday evening, and then a follow up one after the conference. Seems like that would be much easier than doing a remote one.

        Cory (from mobile)

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
          Cory,

          You're right, it would be easier to have a retro at the conference
          sometime.

          The banquet is Thursday night, and I don't think it's going to work to
          have a retro after the banquet. Besides, the conference goes through
          Friday at noon.

          Got any other ideas?

          Johanna

          On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Cory Foy wrote:

          > Hi Johanna,
          >
          > If I may - perhaps have a retrospective Thursday evening, and then a
          > follow up one after the conference. Seems like that would be much
          > easier than doing a remote one.
          >
          > Cory (from mobile)

        • David H.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
            > All,

            Hello Johanna

            > I'm the conference chair for Agile 2009, and am trying to figure out
            > how to run a a completely dispersed retrospective for Agile 2008. Has
            > anyone here used cardmeeting.com? Did it help you gather data?

            I have used Cardmeeting in combination with iChat (the people all
            owned Apple mac's) however it turned out to be rather bad as an
            experience, since the interactivity and the visual cues you get from
            an in room retrospective were missing.

            If you can find a sponsor that owns a Macromedia (Adobe) Breeze
            presentation and communication Server installation then you could use
            that. Breeze offers Video, audio and interactivity with whitebords and
            polls and so on and I have used that system when I was orking at
            Adobe, it is very interactive, but unfrotunately very expensive as
            well :)

            -d

            benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
          • Cory Foy
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
              Oh come now, it's not like there's a party or drinking or anything. :)

              I assume (maybe wrongly) that the retrospective is for the organizers. As such, you would know their schedules better. But perhaps you all could get together Friday sometime? Maybe morning?

              Even if you held it on Wednesday, the feedback and interactivity is going to be so much better than distributed. You can always follow up later on via teleconference.

              Cory (from mobile)

              You're right, it would be easier to have a retro at the conference
              sometime.

              The banquet is Thursday night, and I don't think it's going to work to
              have a retro after the banquet. Besides, the conference goes through
              Friday at noon.

              Got any other ideas?

              Johanna

              On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Cory Foy wrote:

              > Hi Johanna,
              >
              > If I may - perhaps have a retrospective Thursday evening, and then a
              > follow up one after the conference. Seems like that would be much
              > easier than doing a remote one.
              >
              > Cory (from mobile)

            • Mark Levison
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                Assuming its for the general populace and not just the organizers recall my attempt at doing it after the fact last year on this and other mailing lists. It died from lack of interest.

                Cheers
                Mark
                One Year of Scrum: Lessons Learned
                http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/10/one-year-of-scr.html
                Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
                http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
                Customer Retention Department - Vonage Customer Service Sucks
                http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/06/customer_retent.html
              • Mark Levison
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Darn it got sent before it was ready.

                  To finish: I think that an end of conference retrospective for the general populace and not just the organizers would be very good thing.

                  Really I'm done this time.

                  Cheers
                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                    Mark,

                    Yes, I'm intending it to be for the conference attendees (all of
                    them), people who wanted to attend, and the organizers.

                    Johanna

                    On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Mark Levison wrote:

                    > Darn it got sent before it was ready.
                    >
                    > To finish: I think that an end of conference retrospective for the
                    > general populace and not just the organizers would be very good thing.
                    >
                    > Really I'm done this time.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Mark Levison <mlevison@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > Assuming its for the general populace and not just the organizers
                    > recall my attempt at doing it after the fact last year on this and
                    > other mailing lists. It died from lack of interest.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Mark
                    > Blog: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/
                    > One Year of Scrum: Lessons Learned
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/10/one-year-of-scr.html
                    > Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
                    > Customer Retention Department - Vonage Customer Service Sucks
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/06/customer_retent.html
                    >

                    > --
                    > Blog: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/
                    > One Year of Scrum: Lessons Learned
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/10/one-year-of-scr.html
                    > Aperture vs. Lightroom - best comparisons
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/02/aperture_vs_lig.html
                    > Customer Retention Department - Vonage Customer Service Sucks
                    > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2007/06/customer_retent.html

                    --
                    Rothman Consulting Group, Inc. 781-641-4046
                    Speaker, Author, Consultant - Managing Product Development
                    Manage It! Workshop, Sept 22-24, 2008
                    "The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Einstein.
                    Come to AYE and learn which questions to ask -- and practice some
                    answers.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
                      Johanna Rothman wrote:
                      > Yes, I'm intending it to be for the conference attendees (all of
                      > them), people who wanted to attend, and the organizers.

                      It would seem ideal to do this in two parts. First, a majority of the
                      conference attendees are a captive audience at the banquet. We could
                      take advantage of that to capture information about things. For example,
                      we could leave a stack of index cards at every table with stickers. Have
                      everyone do a timeline exercise - one event per card. Put a sticky on it
                      if it was a high or low point. Perhaps have them put their email address
                      on it if they would be willing to be contacted. Would be easier if they
                      could just put an id (less writing).

                      Then group the cards into common themes. Ideally we'd do it right after
                      the banquet, so the next morning when everybody came down stairs, we
                      could have a big visible chart (and I mean big - probably lots of
                      blurred vision) with the themes, and maybe subthemes. An example might
                      be a theme of venue location, with subthemes of open space, vendor area,
                      etc.

                      Have a set of stickies next to that, and ask people to put whether it
                      was high or low, or perhaps if they'd keep or change.

                      It would be a lot of work to organize the cards that quickly, but it
                      seems like it would be some pretty interesting feedback. I'd be happy to
                      chip in (as I bet several of us would) to help get them organized.

                      With that information, the committee can take a closer look at the
                      themes and the areas to keep/improve, digging into the card details if
                      necessary. If we could get the cards in (high-speed scanner anyone?),
                      then perhaps get them up where anyone could review and offer feedback.

                      All this might be a bit much for this year, but if we did some of it
                      this time, we could build on it for next year. After doing a
                      retrospective of it, of course. ;)

                      --
                      Cory Foy
                      http://www.cornetdesign.com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2008
                          On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Mark Levison <mlevison@...> wrote:
                          > Johanna - I was a big advocate of trying to do this last year, so if you
                          > need any help doing this let me know.
                          >
                          > Like Cory I would seriously consider doing this at the banquet. Ask Bob
                          > Martin to mention it at the end of his talk - I'm sure he would be game.
                          > While the conference isn't over at that point I think it better to gather
                          > incomplete feedback from many people than to gather complete feedback from
                          > me :-)

                          I'll help too if you need somone to run around and "hassle" people :)

                          -d

                          benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
                        • Johanna Rothman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 30, 2008
                            Wow, you guys are great. I will contact you off-list.

                            Thank you,
                            Johanna

                            --
                            Rothman Consulting Group, Inc. 781-641-4046
                            Speaker, Author, Consultant - Managing Product Development
                            Manage It! Workshop, Sept 22-24, 2008
                            "The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Einstein.
                            Come to AYE and learn which questions to ask -- and practice some
                            answers.
                            AYE, Nov 2-6, 2008, http://www.ayeconference.com
                          • Bob Sarni
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 30, 2008
                              I will also be there and willing to help in anyway.

                              Bob Sarni, CSC, bsarni@... 303-570-8848

                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Johanna Rothman <jr@...>

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30, 2008
                                Probably easiest to reach me at foyc at cornetdesign dot com. Look forward to helping out!

                                Cory (from mobile)

                                Wow, you guys are great. I will contact you off-list.

                                Thank you,
                                Johanna

                                On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:59 AM, David H. wrote:

                                > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Mark Levison <mlevison@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Johanna - I was a big advocate of trying to do this last year, so
                                > if you
                                > > need any help doing this let me know.
                                > >
                                > > Like Cory I would seriously consider doing this at the banquet.
                                > Ask Bob
                                > > Martin to mention it at the end of his talk - I'm sure he would be
                                > game.
                                > > While the conference isn't over at that point I think it better to
                                > gather
                                > > incomplete feedback from many people than to gather complete
                                > feedback from
                                > > me :-)
                                > >
                                > I'll help too if you need somone to run around and "hassle" people :)
                                >
                                > -d
                              • Ilja Preuss
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
                                  Johanna,

                                  are you aware that there is already a retrospective scheduled in the
                                  program? http://submissions.agile2008.org/node/39

                                  Cheers, Ilja