RE: [scrumdevelopment] backlog tracking

  • Jonas Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2002
      Mike,

      You wrote:
      > * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
      > (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
      > be interested in talking to you about developing a
      > servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

      I've also thought about that. I've also considered doing one using Zope.
      However, I have one little problem: I have not yet participated in a Scrum
      project thus I have hard to figure out how to create such an application.

      So, if you decide to start developing a new "ScrumOnline" plase let me know.
      Perhaps I can contribute in some way.

      > Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
      > "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
      > very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
      > the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
      > generator of order and self-organization that creates
      > autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
      > cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
      > (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
      > rapid feedback).

      (I don't understand much of the above)

      > Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
      > Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

      Oki, now I understand! Thanks for clearing that out! :-)

      Jonas
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002

        One of the perpetual questions I get when introducing Scrum is “can’t we just email you our new estimates and skip these daily meetings?”

        That attitude eventually comes around but it takes some teams or individuals a few weeks to see the real value.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2002
          We use bugzilla for backlog tracking at Spirian and it has worked
          pretty well. I started out with Excel, but switched when we felt we
          needed something more sophisticated. bugzilla makes it easier to
          move items from product backlog to version backlog to sprint backlog,
          plus developers can add notes to a backlog item as the work
          progresses.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ulrich Winter" <ulrich.winter@g...>
          wrote:
          > XL?
          > Do you mean MS Excel, or something else?
          >
          > Has anybody used request tracking tools like bugzilla for handling
          backlog?

          > The way issuezilla is used (for example in the subversion.tigris.org
          > project) is much like a backlog.
          >
          > Uli

          I've had