RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Question about sprint backlog

  • William Wake
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2004
      >From: "Brad Grant" <bradg@...>

      >wouldn't some of these "necessary overhead" tasks then be considered
      >obstacles from the customers perspective?

      Yes... that's why I want them visible.

      One of several things can happen: you'll be able to identify the "customer
      value", or you'll realize that it is an impediment. (Or, it may just be
      something you're doing, without jeopardizing the sprint's goals.)

      In your examples:
      * someone making a presentation - it depends. If the Product Owner wants it
      (as part of a campaign to sell the team's capabilities), it might belong on
      one of the backlogs. If some other person wants it ("sneaking in" a task)
      and it's getting in the way, it's an impediment. If it's something someone
      planned to do, and they took that into account when they committed, then
      it's just something they're doing.

      What I've seen is that some people will assign people extra tasks, without
      "paying" for the impact anywhere. In this case, if it's a one-time thing, it
      may be no big deal. But if it turns out that 10% of somebody's job (2 days
      out of 20) is making presentations, that's sounds like something we should
      be conscious of.

      >2. same cat spends few days during the Sprint coordinating
      >deployment, managing backlog, burndown, helping QA with auto-testing,
      >pursuing researching a new open source continous integration build
      >tool, yada..
      These all sound like things with value to the customer, that a team might
      list on the sprint backlog. I guess whether they're impediments or not would
      depend on the situation.

      (I usually think of impediments as either surprises or things outside the
      team's control. Sprint management is probably neither; helping QA or
      researching might be surprises.)

      >That's why this cat has been recording them as impediments, and
      >sharing promimently.
      The "sharing prominently" is the important part; whether it's called an
      impediment or backlog, the team is conscious about what they need to do, and
      that gives them room to stop doing the unimportant ones.

      --
      Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com

      Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
      $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/