RE: [scrumdevelopment] backlog tracking

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2002
      Jeff Sutherland has successfully used CVS. I've attached an example that
      Stephane Besson (stephane.besson@...) sent to me of Sprint
      backlog using Microsoft Excel (XL) ...

      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        We also use Excel in most cases, but we have used other tools
        as well:

        * formatted wikis (this works nicely, specially if the
        place where you hold Scrum meetings is networked)
        * task lists (even in Outlook)
        * all sorts of problem tracking tools like bugzilla
        * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
        (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
        be interested in talking to you about developing a
        servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

        However, remember, that regardless of the "automation" used,
        the Daily Scrum meetings are a "social event", and therefore
        have more cultural value than just the information gathered
        at the meetings. They are a ceremony if you will, that forces
        developers to share tasks, issues, and knowledge; and serve
        as a discovery process to perform pairing for mentor/apprentices,
        common interests, interdisciplinary skills, "green hat"
        explorations, etc.

        Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
        "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
        very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
        the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
        generator of order and self-organization that creates
        autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
        cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
        (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
        rapid feedback).

        Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
        Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

        - Mike
      • Jonas Bengtsson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Mike,

          You wrote:
          > * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
          > (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
          > be interested in talking to you about developing a
          > servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

          I've also thought about that. I've also considered doing one using Zope.
          However, I have one little problem: I have not yet participated in a Scrum
          project thus I have hard to figure out how to create such an application.

          So, if you decide to start developing a new "ScrumOnline" plase let me know.
          Perhaps I can contribute in some way.

          > Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
          > "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
          > very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
          > the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
          > generator of order and self-organization that creates
          > autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
          > cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
          > (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
          > rapid feedback).

          (I don't understand much of the above)

          > Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
          > Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

          Oki, now I understand! Thanks for clearing that out! :-)

          Jonas
        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002

            One of the perpetual questions I get when introducing Scrum is “can’t we just email you our new estimates and skip these daily meetings?”

            That attitude eventually comes around but it takes some teams or individuals a few weeks to see the real value.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2002
              We use bugzilla for backlog tracking at Spirian and it has worked
              pretty well. I started out with Excel, but switched when we felt we
              needed something more sophisticated. bugzilla makes it easier to
              move items from product backlog to version backlog to sprint backlog,
              plus developers can add notes to a backlog item as the work
              progresses.

              --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ulrich Winter" <ulrich.winter@g...>