Re: [scrumdevelopment] Company Standards (Was Re:Voting the entire team off the island)

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 1, 2008
      woynam wrote:
      > Having seen organizations with a hodge podge of logging frameworks, I
      > don't care to go there again.
      >
      > Seriously, logging has got to be one of the most overdone, and
      > under-performing areas of middleware. The Java community alone has at
      > least 3 different ways of doing logging. Why???????
      >
      > As a business user (PO), does it really buy me anything if we use
      > multiple frameworks? What does it cost me if we use only one?
      >
      > Isn't there something more important to focus on that logging frameworks?

      Well, it seems to be important to you, otherwise you wouldn't want to
      have a company standard on it, would you?

      Perhaps you could share some of things that you have seen go wrong to
      help us understand where that need is coming from.

      Cheers, Ilja
    • Emiliano Heyns
      Message 148 of 148 , Sep 13, 2008
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:
        Emiliano Heyns wrote:
        > Do I want them to behave differently... that is a very good question. I
        > think (easy to say) I would be OK with a wide variety of behaviors as
        > long as we're showing noticeable progress towards our projects' goal.

        How visible is that progress? How visible is how much needs still to be
        done to reach that goal? Is this reflected in some kind of burn chart
        that the team members believe in?

        I'm beginning to doubt this. We have something like this, but I wonder whether the value of the milestones is adequately explained, which could certainly be an issue for the new member. If not, it could explain a thing or two.

        I've been reading Jean Tabaka's book; I forgot who recommended it to me, but here's a heart-felt thank you to whoever did. I've found "a thing or two" that I should have handled very, very differently. So my apologies to this group, after the apologies already rendered to my team. We're not at the performing stage yet, but in a lot better shape than we were.

        Thanks all,
        Emile