Company Standards (Was Re:Voting the entire team off the island)

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 1, 2008
      No, it gets better.

      Without a standard, you have multiple logging frameworks in use. Since
      logging frameworks themselves are highly customizable, typically
      through the use of XML, each team is free to choose *how* they're
      going to use each particular framework, as we can't dictate a company
      standard.

      How do I know? Well, that's what we had when we first started. Every
      team wrote their own logging, since nothing in the market was good
      enough for them. When two groups did manage to select the same
      framework, it was utilized differently.

      What you wind up with is a complete mess.

      Why do we have coding standards? Should the teams also be free to
      write code any way they please?

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hudson" <phudson@...>
      wrote:

      > Ø I understood Mark to say that we, for example, *should* have a
      company
      > standard on what logging framework to use. I find that to be highly
      > questionable advice.
      >
      > I pity the maintenance programmers who will come after you
      (depending on how
      > big you are,maybe)
      >
      > Paul

    • Emiliano Heyns
      Message 148 of 148 , Sep 13, 2008
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:
        Emiliano Heyns wrote:
        > Do I want them to behave differently... that is a very good question. I
        > think (easy to say) I would be OK with a wide variety of behaviors as
        > long as we're showing noticeable progress towards our projects' goal.

        How visible is that progress? How visible is how much needs still to be
        done to reach that goal? Is this reflected in some kind of burn chart
        that the team members believe in?

        I'm beginning to doubt this. We have something like this, but I wonder whether the value of the milestones is adequately explained, which could certainly be an issue for the new member. If not, it could explain a thing or two.

        I've been reading Jean Tabaka's book; I forgot who recommended it to me, but here's a heart-felt thank you to whoever did. I've found "a thing or two" that I should have handled very, very differently. So my apologies to this group, after the apologies already rendered to my team. We're not at the performing stage yet, but in a lot better shape than we were.

        Thanks all,
        Emile