Re: [scrumdevelopment] Company Standards (Was Re:Voting the entire team off the island)

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 1 1:02 PM
      woynam wrote:
      > Seriously, I must have missed the tour of the company that forced
      > complete crap on everyone.

      It doesn't need to be complete crap to be suboptimal to be forced upon a
      team.

      > We have a decent set of tools. They're not perfect, but they get the
      > job done. We could spend all of our time evaluating the latest and
      > greatest. Instead, we have feature that need to be implemented.

      Who did suggest that you should spend all of your time evaluating the
      latest and greatest?

      > Is there something in the
      > definition of empirical process that I'm missing? Isn't the whole
      > point to demonstrate that something doesn't work, and then change and
      > measure again?

      No, I don't think that is the whole point. You can also use an empirical
      process to improve something that already *does* work, can't you?

      Cheers, Ilja
    • Emiliano Heyns
      Message 148 of 148 , Sep 13, 2008
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:
        On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:
        Emiliano Heyns wrote:
        > Do I want them to behave differently... that is a very good question. I
        > think (easy to say) I would be OK with a wide variety of behaviors as
        > long as we're showing noticeable progress towards our projects' goal.

        How visible is that progress? How visible is how much needs still to be
        done to reach that goal? Is this reflected in some kind of burn chart
        that the team members believe in?

        I'm beginning to doubt this. We have something like this, but I wonder whether the value of the milestones is adequately explained, which could certainly be an issue for the new member. If not, it could explain a thing or two.

        I've been reading Jean Tabaka's book; I forgot who recommended it to me, but here's a heart-felt thank you to whoever did. I've found "a thing or two" that I should have handled very, very differently. So my apologies to this group, after the apologies already rendered to my team. We're not at the performing stage yet, but in a lot better shape than we were.

        Thanks all,
        Emile