Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Performance testing and agile

  • Chris Markiewicz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
      Petri,

      Some of the bigger challenges with performance testing are just as you stated below. We want to measure performance over an 8 to 10 hour period on a 500 user per JVM with 90% of the transactions 3 seconds or less. Challenge one need the appropriate hardware etc... Challenge two need appropriate team members to manage the scripts as we are constantly updating the product and breaking the scripts. Challenge three keeping this on all teams radar when we are being asked to include new funcitonallity each sprint.

      I agree it makes the most sense to test and address performance issues or concerns within the sprint, there really is no better time to do it. Historically within out organization performance testing has been done post GA of the product which makes no sense to me and it was done by the organizations Infrastructure group who is only tweeking app server configuration or network configuration to get as much out of the app as possible(way too late for any coding or architectual changes).

      I am thinking we will just have to incorporate the performance script writers/testers and possibly infrastructure folks in our scrum teams and make sure we account for this work when estimating sprint capacity. We do view this different than our automated junits that run for every delivery. Performance testing includes seeing how the app runs under extended load, garbage collection, memory leaks etc... which may not show until you have pushed the app for an extended period.

      Thanks again for the comments,

      Chris