Re: Challenge of increasing velocity - what level

  • jay_conne
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Cory,

      I like your approach - it's about what's in it for them. The only
      important answer should be that they can deliver real value faster,
      better and cheaper.

      If they are primarily invested in hiding their incompetence and that
      of their team in the current context, they should be fired. Anyone
      with better character will jump at the chance to achieve the results
      Agile can demonstrate.

      Let me also say that my reference to incompetence of their team is not
      to blame the team. As Deming and Poppendieck write - it's usually
      about the system and not the individuals that are often victims of a
      dysfunctional system.

      Jay

      In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:
      > ... Let's say I have dinner with the CTO, and he is sold on Scrum.
      > I mean, he really gets it. Now you are talking with the managers,
      and telling them you are going to increase velocity, or improve the
      team, etc, etc. They know there is executive buy-in, but other than
      keeping their jobs, what is the incentive for them to jump in?

      > It would seem like answering that question would give you the
      figurative collar grabbing mechanism. But as you know, it's a
      mechanism that requires respect and a light hand.

      > (I've done this twice on teams where the manager was the cause of or
      was the impediment. By removing emotion (but not passion!) and showing
      improvements, and timelines for improvements, I was able to make it
      work. In one case, we started under the radar, so had some concrete
      numbers to show, but in both cases the managers took it personally -
      as I would expect many of us would.)