Failure or success?

  • Flávio Steffens de Castro
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hello folks,

       I was reading and discussing about the change management when we are creating an "agile" concept in a company. I read that some people think that the best thing to do, in the first sprints, is to let the team failure... so in the retrospectives, all this can be discussed and analyzed generating lessons learned.

      In other way, some people say that the best thing to do is creating a environment where they will achieve success in the first sprints. This will show them how to work with scrum, the benefits and improve the motivation.

      I can say that I prefer the "success path", at least in the first sprints. People may be a little confused in the beggining, with the changes. If we let them go to fail, we are making them think that "this 'scrum' does not help us!".

      What are your opinion about this?

      Thanks

      _____________________
      Flavio Steffens de Castro
    • Tobias Mayer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hi Flávio,

        Success and failure are not mutually exclusive.  Let the team just be.  And see what happens.  The retrospective will be the time to inspect and adapt.

        Tobias

         I was reading and discussing about the change management when we are creating an "agile" concept in a company. I read that some people think that the best thing to do, in the first sprints, is to let the team failure... so in the retrospectives, all this can be discussed and analyzed generating lessons learned.

        In other way, some people say that the best thing to do is creating a environment where they will achieve success in the first sprints. This will show them how to work with scrum, the benefits and improve the motivation.

        I can say that I prefer the "success path", at least in the first sprints. People may be a little confused in the beggining, with the changes. If we let them go to fail, we are making them think that "this 'scrum' does not help us!".

        What are your opinion about this?

        Thanks

        ____________ _________
        Flavio Steffens de Castro

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
          Flávio Steffens de Castro wrote:
          > Hello folks,
          >
          > I was reading and discussing about the change management when we are
          > creating an "agile" concept in a company. I read that some people think
          > that the best thing to do, in the first sprints, is to let the team
          > failure... so in the retrospectives, all this can be discussed and
          > analyzed generating lessons learned.
          >
          > In other way, some people say that the best thing to do is creating a
          > environment where they will achieve success in the first sprints. This
          > will show them how to work with scrum, the benefits and improve the
          > motivation.
          >
          > I can say that I prefer the "success path", at least in the first
          > sprints. People may be a little confused in the beginning, with the
          > changes. If we let them go to fail, we are making them think that "this
          > 'scrum' does not help us!".
          >
          > What are your opinion about this?

          Flavio, I agree that the "success path" is more inspiring and help
          people achieve future successes. I don't know how to reliably engineer
          this situation, though. Can you offer some suggestions from your own
          experience?

          - George

        • Flávio Steffens de Castro
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
            Hey George!

            My idea is just simple: if you really know something about the team, dont make them promise as the "selected product backlog" as big as they can. People like to think that they can achieve challenges, without know their limits. We can engineer this by making them stand on the ground (not fly to the skies). "People, let's try to deliver one or two little features in this first sprint, so you can live a little more of the SCRUM". Things like this. Very simple and very realistic :)

            Thanks!

            Flavio

            _____________________
            Flavio Steffens de Castro

            On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

            Flávio Steffens de Castro wrote:
            > Hello folks,
            >
            > I was reading and discussing about the change management when we are
            > creating an "agile" concept in a company. I read that some people think
            > that the best thing to do, in the first sprints, is to let the team
            > failure... so in the retrospectives, all this can be discussed and
            > analyzed generating lessons learned.
            >
            > In other way, some people say that the best thing to do is creating a
            > environment where they will achieve success in the first sprints. This
            > will show them how to work with scrum, the benefits and improve the
            > motivation.
            >
            > I can say that I prefer the "success path", at least in the first
            > sprints. People may be a little confused in the beginning, with the
            > changes. If we let them go to fail, we are making them think that "this
            > 'scrum' does not help us!".
            >
            > What are your opinion about this?

            Flavio, I agree that the "success path" is more inspiring and help
            people achieve future successes. I don't know how to reliably engineer
            this situation, though. Can you offer some suggestions from your own
            experience?

            - George

          • David Hicks
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008

              The overriding critical success factors for any organisational change tend to be political and socio-cultural. There are always exceptions to any rule, but for these reasons alone I have found it is usually very important for the first foray into agile to be deemed a success – but with some clear points for improvement ;-)

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                Flávio Steffens de Castro wrote:
                > Hey George!
                >
                > My idea is just simple: if you really know something about the team,
                > dont make them promise as the "selected product backlog" as big as they
                > can. People like to think that they can achieve challenges, without know
                > their limits. We can engineer this by making them stand on the ground
                > (not fly to the skies). "People, let's try to deliver one or two little
                > features in this first sprint, so you can live a little more of the
                > SCRUM". Things like this. Very simple and very realistic :)

                Yes, low delivery expectations are a great boon for a team that's
                learning. That's a good one. Do you find that's sufficient with most
                teams and organizations?

                - George

              • SPM
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Hi all,

                  i prefer a small first sprint and the "success path" if it is a new team (that's the reality in the most cases)....
                  So there is first a team finding
                  process (norming-storming-performing) which can compromise success.
                  Therfore i think it is necessasary that the team has "success" to built the team, because
                  it isnt't a team at the beginning.

                  Best

                  Reiner

                  --