Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum and DTAP

  • Robin Dymond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
      The financial services companies have this issue. The QA groups own generation of good quality anonimized data that offers fake data that has almost all the attributes of the production data. In this way the data "makes sense" to those developers and testers building the systems.

      In the BI world it could be much harder. It may make more sense to ensure the team is trained in how to handle this data rather than creating these artificial separations that will definitely hamper the ability to deliver applications to makrket quickly and with good quality. I am not convinced the "chinese wall" approach is valid anyway, since BI is all about getting at the underlying trends, and production data is required to find those.

      regards,
      Robin.

      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Emiliano Heyns <Emiliano.Heyns@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      Our project is working on a BI solution for our company, and as such needs access to a wide variety of systems, most of which contain sensitive information. We have recently started to draft privacy guidelines to make sure we don't overstep our authority; the main solution being floated is a strict DTAP (Development, Testing, Acceptation, Production) separation. The idea would be that in D and T we would only work on a strictly anonimized version of our database, and that A and P could use production data, but that none of the people with D and T access would have A or P access.

      The difficulty we're having with that is that there isn't any one particular anonimization strategy that will work for all our development needs, so we'd have to produce a multitude of these, and that it's very hard to assess how far along to "done" we are, since the people that can validate our work can only do so when offset against their real-world experience using their current administrative systems -- using live data.

      The current projection also aims toward a minimum of people with A or P access, so these would have to be part of most teams concurrently.

      If anyone has found a good solution to these requirements we would appreciate your insights.

      Regards,
      Emile

      --
      Robin Dymond, CST