Re: [scrumdevelopment] backlog tracking

  • Ulrich Winter
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      XL?
      Do you mean MS Excel, or something else?

      Has anybody used request tracking tools like bugzilla for handling backlog?

      The way issuezilla is used (for example in the subversion.tigris.org
      project) is much like a backlog.

      Uli

      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2002
        Jeff Sutherland has successfully used CVS. I've attached an example that
        Stephane Besson (stephane.besson@...) sent to me of Sprint
        backlog using Microsoft Excel (XL) ...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          We also use Excel in most cases, but we have used other tools
          as well:

          * formatted wikis (this works nicely, specially if the
          place where you hold Scrum meetings is networked)
          * task lists (even in Outlook)
          * all sorts of problem tracking tools like bugzilla
          * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
          (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
          be interested in talking to you about developing a
          servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

          However, remember, that regardless of the "automation" used,
          the Daily Scrum meetings are a "social event", and therefore
          have more cultural value than just the information gathered
          at the meetings. They are a ceremony if you will, that forces
          developers to share tasks, issues, and knowledge; and serve
          as a discovery process to perform pairing for mentor/apprentices,
          common interests, interdisciplinary skills, "green hat"
          explorations, etc.

          Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
          "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
          very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
          the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
          generator of order and self-organization that creates
          autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
          cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
          (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
          rapid feedback).

          Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
          Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

          - Mike
        • Jonas Bengtsson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2002
            Mike,

            You wrote:
            > * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
            > (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
            > be interested in talking to you about developing a
            > servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

            I've also thought about that. I've also considered doing one using Zope.
            However, I have one little problem: I have not yet participated in a Scrum
            project thus I have hard to figure out how to create such an application.

            So, if you decide to start developing a new "ScrumOnline" plase let me know.
            Perhaps I can contribute in some way.

            > Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
            > "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
            > very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
            > the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
            > generator of order and self-organization that creates
            > autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
            > cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
            > (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
            > rapid feedback).

            (I don't understand much of the above)

            > Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
            > Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

            Oki, now I understand! Thanks for clearing that out! :-)

            Jonas
          • Mike Cohn
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002

              One of the perpetual questions I get when introducing Scrum is “can’t we just email you our new estimates and skip these daily meetings?”

              That attitude eventually comes around but it takes some teams or individuals a few weeks to see the real value.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2002
                We use bugzilla for backlog tracking at Spirian and it has worked
                pretty well. I started out with Excel, but switched when we felt we
                needed something more sophisticated. bugzilla makes it easier to
                move items from product backlog to version backlog to sprint backlog,
                plus developers can add notes to a backlog item as the work
                progresses.

                --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ulrich Winter" <ulrich.winter@g...>