Re: Scrum teams going against company standards.....

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2008

      > > If the Team is uninterested in Excel and
      > > kanban and can meet their commitments, then so be it.
      >
      > Sorry but I cannot agree with that at all! This was about a
      > _company_ standard and the problem was not about adjusting or fine
      > tuning said standard, it was about plainly refusing to follow that
      > standard, which is unaccetpable. Scrum is ot about chaos and
      > everyone doing whatever they like as long as they can deliver and
      > commit to work, it is also about creating an environment that works
      > for everyone. Clearly it does not work and that has to be address.
      >
      > So I do not quite understand how you came to your conclusion

      You're misquoting me. Here is my original thought:

      > > I have no objection to the Team selecting how they want to track
      > > their own work, but it is the responsibility of the ScrumMaster to
      > > provide the correct interface to management (or peers). If the
      > > Team is uninterested in Excel and kanban and can meet their
      > > commitments, then so be it. Unfortunately for the ScrumMaster, the
      > > Team just gave him\her extra work since it now becomes their
      > > responsibility to provide the appropriate interface.

      If the company standard is so important and the ScrumMaster (not the
      Team) is providing the correct information to the company standard,
      why does that not work? We have told these Teams they are
      self-managing and then we limit how self-managing they can be. Sounds
      like we really don't mean they are self-managing. I agree Scrum is
      not about chaos, but if Teams are meeting the definition of done and
      their commitments using different tools and processes than the rest of
      the organization, why should we stop the Team from being productive
      and self-managing?

      Carlton