Scrum and the Federal (USA) Government

  • ramona.crawford53
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
      I am looking for case studies/justification for using scrum with a
      federal (USA) government agency. We have been talking with our client
      about using SCRUM and want to be able to site other government
      agencies that have experience with an agile methodology for software
      development. Information about actual projects that have been
      successfully completed by/for specific federal agencies would be
      extremely helpful.
    • Jim Schiel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
        Someone help me out here -- Ken used to tell stories about working with a government agency where he got them onboard with the "I'll-show-you-software-at-the-end-of-the-month" approach. Wasn't it the Fed Reserve or Treasury?

        --
        Jim Schiel
        CST, Danube Technologies
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

          It was either the Fed Reserve or Federal Home Loan Bank in San Francisco.  I can probably drum up the contact info for Dale.  It is also in Ken’s Agile Project Management using Scrum book.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
            Federal Reserve. Mike Emry was the main guy there. He used to come to Gatherings and such but I haven't seen him lately.
            The CIA circulated a proposal to get training last year.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
              My boss tells me that Federal Reserve doesn't count because they do
              not have to follow all the rules most federal agencies/departments
              have to follow. The CIA sounds interesting, any more info on that?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                No, I didn't follow up with them. Sandia National Labs was doing some Scrum back in 2005 but I haven't been in touch with anyone there lately.

                Regards,
                Mike

                On Jun 17, 2008, at 4:27 PM, ramona.crawford53 wrote:

                My boss tells me that Federal Reserve doesn't count because they do
                not have to follow all the rules most federal agencies/department s
                have to follow. The CIA sounds interesting, any more info on that?

                --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

                > Federal Reserve. Mike Emry was the main guy there. He used to come
                > Gatherings and such but I haven't seen him lately.
                > The CIA circulated a proposal to get training last year.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > On Jun 17, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Brent Barton wrote:
                >

                > > It was either the Fed Reserve or Federal Home Loan Bank in San
                > > Francisco. I can probably drum up the contact info for Dale.
                It is
                > > also in Ken's Agile Project Management using Scrum book.

              • jay_conne
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008
                  Three Sandia N.L. people attend my Deep Lean seminar at MIT for the
                  ACM with Jeff S., Mary & Tom P. and Nancy V. last November. Nancy and
                  Ron Morsicato followed up with a small amount of consulting since
                  then. There's no evidence of follow through.

                  Regards,
                  Jay

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

                  > No, I didn't follow up with them. Sandia National Labs was doing some
                  > Scrum back in 2005 but I haven't been in touch with anyone there lately.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Mike
                • PeterG
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 23, 2009
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "ramona.crawford53" <ramona.crawford@...> wrote:

                    > I am looking for case studies/justification for using scrum with a
                    > federal (USA) government agency. We have been talking with our client
                    > about using SCRUM and want to be able to site other government
                    > agencies that have experience with an agile methodology for software
                    > development. Information about actual projects that have been
                    > successfully completed by/for specific federal agencies would be
                    > extremely helpful.

                    Hi folks,

                    I'm bumping this thread in the hopes of getting some more info. I'll be giving some training to a team that works on govt. sector projects in a few weeks and, while I can speak about why scrum _should_ be applicable to that situation, some case studies would be fabulous.
                  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 23, 2009
                      Read Crosstalk from Hill AFB and check out their STSC conferences

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: "PeterG"
                      Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:39:30 -0000
                      To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and the Federal (USA) Government

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 24, 2009
                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, mike.dwyer1@... wrote:

                        > Read Crosstalk from Hill AFB and check out their STSC conferences

                        Thanks for that referral, looks like there are some good applicable articles in there.

                        ---Peter