backlog tracking

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2002

      I spent an hour today participating in a meeting to discuss prioritization of backlog for a sprint starting on Friday and then another hour or two organizing the sprint and product backlog to get it ready for the team (which is currently wrapping up the current sprint). Every time I do this I think “there must be a better tool out there for managing backlog”.

      So, I’m curious and would like to do an informal survey: What are people using to track backlog?

      To get things started: I’ve used paper, XML, MS Project, Excel, standalone hierarchical outliners and have found Excel the best but I periodically get a wild hair and try something different.

      Thanks,

      Mike

    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        We had a web-based tool, ScrumOnline, but it got pretty clunky. I've had best success with customized XL.
        Ken

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2002
          I tracked my backlog with Excel. I had enough columns so that I
          could put in elements of interest to various parties, for example,
          date entered into backlog, severity level [1-4], current priority,
          developers' estimate of effort, etc. Then depending on who wanted
          to see the list, I could sort it by various columns. I hid rows as
          they were completed and columns if they were not of general
          interest. It worked quite well.
        • Ulrich Winter
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2002
            XL?
            Do you mean MS Excel, or something else?

            Has anybody used request tracking tools like bugzilla for handling backlog?

            The way issuezilla is used (for example in the subversion.tigris.org
            project) is much like a backlog.

            Uli

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2002
              Jeff Sutherland has successfully used CVS. I've attached an example that
              Stephane Besson (stephane.besson@...) sent to me of Sprint
              backlog using Microsoft Excel (XL) ...

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                We also use Excel in most cases, but we have used other tools
                as well:

                * formatted wikis (this works nicely, specially if the
                place where you hold Scrum meetings is networked)
                * task lists (even in Outlook)
                * all sorts of problem tracking tools like bugzilla
                * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
                (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
                be interested in talking to you about developing a
                servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

                However, remember, that regardless of the "automation" used,
                the Daily Scrum meetings are a "social event", and therefore
                have more cultural value than just the information gathered
                at the meetings. They are a ceremony if you will, that forces
                developers to share tasks, issues, and knowledge; and serve
                as a discovery process to perform pairing for mentor/apprentices,
                common interests, interdisciplinary skills, "green hat"
                explorations, etc.

                Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
                "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
                very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
                the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
                generator of order and self-organization that creates
                autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
                cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
                (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
                rapid feedback).

                Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
                Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

                - Mike
              • Jonas Bengtsson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2002
                  Mike,

                  You wrote:
                  > * at some point we used Ken's tool ScrumOnline...
                  > (Ken, are you guys still releasing this tool? I would
                  > be interested in talking to you about developing a
                  > servlet-based ScrumOnline...)

                  I've also thought about that. I've also considered doing one using Zope.
                  However, I have one little problem: I have not yet participated in a Scrum
                  project thus I have hard to figure out how to create such an application.

                  So, if you decide to start developing a new "ScrumOnline" plase let me know.
                  Perhaps I can contribute in some way.

                  > Btw, I was at SFI (Santa Fe Institute) a week ago for the
                  > "Biological Framings of Computing" workshop, and it was
                  > very clear, to me anyhow, that a Scrum-like process plays
                  > the role of a Maxwell Demon in software teams -- as the
                  > generator of order and self-organization that creates
                  > autocatalytic chains (because the work is created in
                  > cycles), and homeostatic-like and protometabolic behavior
                  > (because it monitors and adjusts the system through
                  > rapid feedback).

                  (I don't understand much of the above)

                  > Read all of the above as: I am most ever convinced that
                  > Scrum is a _very_ cool thing,

                  Oki, now I understand! Thanks for clearing that out! :-)

                  Jonas
                • Mike Cohn
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2002

                    One of the perpetual questions I get when introducing Scrum is “can’t we just email you our new estimates and skip these daily meetings?”

                    That attitude eventually comes around but it takes some teams or individuals a few weeks to see the real value.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 12, 2002
                      We use bugzilla for backlog tracking at Spirian and it has worked
                      pretty well. I started out with Excel, but switched when we felt we
                      needed something more sophisticated. bugzilla makes it easier to
                      move items from product backlog to version backlog to sprint backlog,
                      plus developers can add notes to a backlog item as the work
                      progresses.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ulrich Winter" <ulrich.winter@g...>