Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Challenge of increasing velocity - what level

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi Joe,

      Joseph Little wrote:
      > We need to (figuratively) grab management by the collar and say: We
      > ain't doing business as usual any more! We're serious. You have to
      > help us knock down the impediments.

      It seems like you know or have an idea of what the improvements can lead
      to. At least, you seem rather confident that you can have a significant
      improvement in the organization by helping the teams have the courage to
      remove impediments.

      To steal a little from Paul's reply - I'm picturing the following
      scenario. Let's say I have dinner with the CTO, and he is sold on Scrum.
      I mean, he really gets it. Now you are talking with the managers, and
      telling them you are going to increase velocity, or improve the team,
      etc, etc. They know there is executive buy-in, but other than keeping
      their jobs, what is the incentive for them to jump in?

      It would seem like answering that question would give you the figurative
      collar grabbing mechanism. But as you know, it's a mechanism that
      requires respect and a light hand.

      (I've done this twice on teams where the manager was the cause of or was
      the impediment. By removing emotion (but not passion!) and showing
      improvements, and timelines for improvements, I was able to make it
      work. In one case, we started under the radar, so had some concrete
      numbers to show, but in both cases the managers took it personally - as
      I would expect many of us would.)

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
        Good comments all. My added riff is this:

        First you must be confident yourself. And feel the challenge yourself.
        Then, you must have a capable team (a team that can complete a Sprint
        in this specific domain). If they aren't good enough, get the effort
        canned.
        You need to show a challenging vision, where you raise more promise
        than resistance.
        Finally you need to guide them gently to getting better and better.

        Without a vision, the people perish. (I think the Bible said that.)

        I agree one can present it like a jerk or one can present it in an
        inspiring way.

        I am finding courage, and all the little blankies that enable us to
        act on our courage, are so important. And the willingness to leave
        behind the past (not hard in most of the cases I see, except that we
        became comfortable with pain).

        Regards, Joe

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:

        > Hi Joe,
        >
        > Joseph Little wrote:
        > > We need to (figuratively) grab management by the collar and say: We
        > > ain't doing business as usual any more! We're serious. You have to
        > > help us knock down the impediments.
        >
        > It seems like you know or have an idea of what the improvements can
        lead
        > to. At least, you seem rather confident that you can have a significant
        > improvement in the organization by helping the teams have the
        courage to
        > remove impediments.
        >
        > To steal a little from Paul's reply - I'm picturing the following
        > scenario. Let's say I have dinner with the CTO, and he is sold on
        Scrum.
        > I mean, he really gets it. Now you are talking with the managers, and
        > telling them you are going to increase velocity, or improve the team,
        > etc, etc. They know there is executive buy-in, but other than keeping
        > their jobs, what is the incentive for them to jump in?
        >
        > It would seem like answering that question would give you the
        figurative
        > collar grabbing mechanism. But as you know, it's a mechanism that
        > requires respect and a light hand.
        >
        > (I've done this twice on teams where the manager was the cause of or
        was
        > the impediment. By removing emotion (but not passion!) and showing
        > improvements, and timelines for improvements, I was able to make it
        > work. In one case, we started under the radar, so had some concrete
        > numbers to show, but in both cases the managers took it personally - as
        > I would expect many of us would.)
        >
        > --
        > Cory Foy
        > http://www.cornetdesign.com

      • jay_conne
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1 9:21 AM
          Hi Cory,

          I like your approach - it's about what's in it for them. The only
          important answer should be that they can deliver real value faster,
          better and cheaper.

          If they are primarily invested in hiding their incompetence and that
          of their team in the current context, they should be fired. Anyone
          with better character will jump at the chance to achieve the results
          Agile can demonstrate.

          Let me also say that my reference to incompetence of their team is not
          to blame the team. As Deming and Poppendieck write - it's usually
          about the system and not the individuals that are often victims of a
          dysfunctional system.

          Jay