Agile 201 - What should it include?

  • Joseph Little
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi,

      In late July Jeff Sutherland and I are leading an advanced course in NYC (Agile 201). We will ask the participants what they want to learn about.  This is for people with some experience with Scrum.  Normally CSM or CSPO already, although that won't be required.  CSP, CSC, CST will be welcome.

      But I am asking you now: what would you want, what do you need from such a course?.

      From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?

      The subtitle of the course is "Winning with Scrum".   We want to encourage people in that winning spirit.  So, what do you need to win (or win more) with Scrum?

      I am looking for 30 to 60 minute modules.  But if you just have a burning question, that would be good.

      For this course, I am not looking for input from inexperienced people (although I would welcome input from inexperienced people about the CSM course).

      I have a lot of ideas already (Jeff Sutherland has lots more); I am still looking for that new idea.  And, more likely, to put priority and focus on the ideas I have.

      Thanks for your help.

      Regards, Joe

      Joseph Little
      Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
      704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
      917-887-1669 (cell)
      http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
      http://leanagiletraining.com
      Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

    • David H.
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 3, 2008
        > Hi,

        Hello.

        > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?

        I am still adament that we do not learn enough about the basics of
        communication and dialogue. I would also like to see , included in
        such a class, how proper communication techniques, the right
        philosophy to communication and the basics of human psychology when it
        comes to bias and interpretation of natural languages. I did prepare a
        paper for Agile 2008 (which did not make it) if you want I willhappily
        share the abstract with you and you can glean from it whatever you
        think is valuable.

        -d

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • Mike Sutton
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 3, 2008
          I share your view that we do not know enough , nor DO enough to find
          out about the 'people' in software development (agile or otherwise).

          However, I'm not convinced that a forum like agile 201 would be place
          for this (abit like saying a class on quantum mechanics is where you
          should learn algebra!)

          With the best opinion of Jeff and JL, I'm not sure that most folk
          connected with technology are best placed to even address the human
          issue - we seem too content to deal with code (ooohhh...controversial!)

          Rather I would suggest that agile 201 emphasise agile practioners to
          actively seek out and learn from other disciplines (medicine for
          example - the 'bedside manner' or bereavement counselling to learn
          about human interaction!)

          mike
          csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > Hello.
          >

          > > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?
          > >
          > I am still adament that we do not learn enough about the basics of
          > communication and dialogue. I would also like to see , included in
          > such a class, how proper communication techniques, the right
          > philosophy to communication and the basics of human psychology when it
          > comes to bias and interpretation of natural languages. I did prepare a
          > paper for Agile 2008 (which did not make it) if you want I willhappily
          > share the abstract with you and you can glean from it whatever you
          > think is valuable.
          >
          > -d
          >

          > --
          > Sent from gmail so do not trust this communication.
          > Do not send me sensitive information here, ask for my none-gmail
          accounts.

          > "Therefore the considerations of the intelligent always include both
          > benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 3, 2008
            How to use Scrum is unique circumstances, such as with multiple platform teams and various functional teams.
            Ken

          • roy.maines@wachovia.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 3, 2008
              Joe - why don't you address the issue of "Air Cover" When do you need it, and how do you get it.

              Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
              Sent by: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

              06/03/2008 09:39 AM

              Please respond to
              scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

              scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
              cc
              Subject
              Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile 201 - What should it include?

              How to use Scrum is unique circumstances, such as with multiple platform teams and various functional teams.
              Ken

              >From: Joseph Little <
              jhlittle@...>
              >Date: 2008/06/02 Mon PM 09:27:03 EDT
              >To:
              scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Agile 201 - What should it include?

              >Hi,
              >
              >In late July Jeff Sutherland and I are leading an advanced course in NYC(Agile 201). We will ask the participants what they want to learnabout. This is for people with some experience with Scrum. Normally CSM or CSPO already, although that won't be required. CSP,CSC, CST will be welcome.
              >
              >But I am asking you now: what would you want, what do you need from
              sucha course?.

              > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?
              >
              >The subtitle of the course is "Winning with Scrum". We want
              to encourage people in that winning spirit. So, what do youneed to win (or win more) with Scrum?

              >I am looking for 30 to 60 minute modules. But if you just have aburning
              question, that would be good.

              >For this course, I am not looking for input from inexperienced people(although
              I would welcome input from inexperienced people about the CSMcourse).

              >I have a lot of ideas already (Jeff Sutherland has lots more); I am
              stilllooking for that new idea. And, more likely, to put priority andfocus on the ideas I have.

              >Thanks for your help.
              >
              >Regards, Joe
              >

              >Joseph Little
              >Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
              >704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
              >917-887-1669 (cell)

              http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/

              http://leanagiletraining.com
              >Blog: Agile & Business(Google that)

              ForwardSourceID:NT000214F2

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 4, 2008
                Mike Sutton wrote:
                > I share your view that we do not know enough , nor DO enough to find
                > out about the 'people' in software development (agile or otherwise).
                >
                > However, I'm not convinced that a forum like agile 201 would be place
                > for this (abit like saying a class on quantum mechanics is where you
                > should learn algebra!)

                One good place for learning about these topics is the AYE Conference
                (http://ayeconference.com/).

                - George

              • Joseph Little
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 4, 2008
                  A tip of the hat, Roy.

                  Roy refers to the need in Agile Adoption within large corps to obtain
                  "air cover" for introducing change.

                  There are many versions of this. As one instance, imagine that a key
                  IT leader says he favors Agile, that it is the future. But this
                  leader has not made public statements to that effect.

                  Imagine further that Agile has made significant progress in the grass
                  roots. And at the same time it has stirred up some resistance in
                  middle management. For which Air Cover would be a partial help.

                  And further imagine that you are a grass roots leader or a consultant
                  without authority. You can go to senior mgmt, but a bunch of middle
                  managers will see that and likely resent it that you have "gone around
                  them" and be mad at you for a good while.

                  So, what to do in this scenario?

                  Thanks, Joe

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, roy.maines@... wrote:

                  > Joe - why don't you address the issue of "Air Cover" When do you
                  need it,
                  > and how do you get it.
                  >

                  > Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
                  > Sent by: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                  > 06/03/2008 09:39 AM
                  >
                  > Please respond to
                  > scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                  > scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                  > cc
                  >
                  > Subject
                  > Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile 201 - What should it include?
                  >

                  > How to use Scrum is unique circumstances, such as with multiple
                  platform
                  > teams and various functional teams.
                  > Ken
                  >
                  > >From: Joseph Little <jhlittle@...>
                  > >Date: 2008/06/02 Mon PM 09:27:03 EDT
                  > >To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Agile 201 - What should it include?
                  >

                  > >Hi,
                  > >
                  > >In late July Jeff Sutherland and I are leading an advanced course in
                  > NYC(Agile 201). We will ask the participants what they want to
                  learnabout.
                  > This is for people with some experience with Scrum. Normally CSM or
                  CSPO
                  > already, although that won't be required. CSP,CSC, CST will be welcome.
                  > >
                  > >But I am asking you now: what would you want, what do you need from
                  sucha
                  > course?.
                  > >
                  > > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?
                  > >
                  > >The subtitle of the course is "Winning with Scrum". We want to
                  encourage
                  > people in that winning spirit. So, what do youneed to win (or win more)
                  > with Scrum?
                  > >
                  > >I am looking for 30 to 60 minute modules. But if you just have
                  aburning
                  > question, that would be good.
                  > >
                  > >For this course, I am not looking for input from inexperienced
                  > people(although I would welcome input from inexperienced people
                  about the
                  > CSMcourse).
                  > >
                  > >I have a lot of ideas already (Jeff Sutherland has lots more); I am
                  > stilllooking for that new idea. And, more likely, to put priority
                  andfocus
                  > on the ideas I have.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for your help.
                  > >
                  > >Regards, Joe
                  > >

                  > >Joseph Little
                  > >Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
                  > >704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
                  > >917-887-1669 (cell)
                  > >http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
                  > >http://leanagiletraining.com
                  > >Blog: Agile & Business(Google that)
                  >

                  > ForwardSourceID:NT000214F2

                • Mike Vizdos
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Replies inline to questions from Joe!

                    - mike vizdos

                    Roy refers to the need in Agile Adoption within large corps to obtain
                    "air cover" for introducing change.

                    This is the ideal way from what I have seen.  See this comic strip for more information:

                    See http://www.implementingscrum.com/blog/2007/09/30/bond-chicken-bond-in-a-convertible/

                    http://www.implementingscrum.com/blog/2007/10/15/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

                    And further imagine that you are a grass roots leader or a consultant
                    without authority. You can go to senior mgmt, but a bunch of middle
                    managers will see that and likely resent it that you have "gone around
                    them" and be mad at you for a good while.

                    Or this may happen... http://www.implementingscrum.com/blog/2008/03/10/tony-soprano-meets-scrummaster/ if things go bad.  Others have seen this... it still hurts to see it happen to others too.

                    So, what to do in this scenario?

                    Keep plugging away!

                    Thanks, Joe
                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                      I strongly agree with David.

                      Success for the SM or Product Owner in working with the team, managing
                      up and selling it across the organization depends greatly on the
                      "language" of the stakeholders

                      I have found great success in Gallup's StrengthsFinder (and
                      Buckingham's work) to understand what motivates or means something to
                      others.

                      For my current boss, the language is getting things done, and quickly.
                      It's wasted breath to speak on the value of teamwork, interdependence,
                      growth. His eyes glaze over. But if I need to get approval for
                      something, I tie whatever it is back to results and time, then I have
                      him engaged and listening and most often supportive.

                      The same is true for the ScrumMaster as facilitator of tasks and
                      workload (as well as helping individuals and teams grow) and resolving
                      blocks with outside groups (what hook to use to get the best service
                      you can).

                      I submitted to Agile2008 on this, and also didn't make it, but I
                      posted it here - http://scottdunn.blogspot.com . If you click the
                      strengths tag, you'll find a broader business summary of the value of
                      strengths-based teams.

                      IMHO, agile +strengths is incredibly synergistic.

                      - Scott
                      --
                      http://scottdunn.blogspot.com
                      Software Development and Human Capital - Leadership, Agile and Strengths
                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

                      > I am still adament that we do not learn enough about the basics of
                      > communication and dialogue. I would also like to see , included in
                      > such a class, how proper communication techniques, the right
                      > philosophy to communication and the basics of human psychology when it
                      > comes to bias and interpretation of natural languages. I did prepare a
                      > paper for Agile 2008 (which did not make it) if you want I willhappily
                      > share the abstract with you and you can glean from it whatever you
                      > think is valuable.

                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                        I would have benefited from some guidance on:

                        - What to do when your agile project efforts are going well? What's
                        the next step to capitalize on successful to move agile into the
                        enterprise?

                        I've heard one of Pollyanna's podcasts on Agile Leadership, but I need
                        the stepping stones and nuts-and-bolts (Agile Adoption on a Page, or
                        somesuch).

                        Thanks,
                        Scott

                        --
                        http://scottdunn.blogspot.com
                        Software Development and Human Capital - Leadership, Agile and Strengths
                      • Tobias Mayer
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                          "Winning with Scrum".
                          That's the bit that makes me uncomfortable.  Who then, is losing?
                          Is Scrum a competition?

                          Tobias

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                            Hmm...

                            > How to use Scrum in unique circumstances...

                            If the circumstances are truly unique, how can solutions be "taught" on a two-day generic course?   What does that mean?

                            Tobias

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                              And finally... Joe.  Is this a clever way to publicize an upcoming course and get around the SA recommendation that we don't do that?   Neat  :-)

                              > We will ask the participants what they want to learn about.

                              I do that on my CSM courses... and coincidentally, I'll be running one in NYC next week.  A CSM course.  New York City, 9-10 June.  If you were to be on my CSM course next week in NYC what would you like to learn?

                              Kind of meaningless, eh?  Self-directed learning is best when directed by the learners, not by all those who won't be there.

                              Tobias

                              PS London is making me cynical, or something.

                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > In late July Jeff Sutherland and I are leading an advanced course in
                              > NYC (Agile 201). We will ask the participants what they want to learn
                              > about. This is for people with some experience with Scrum. Normally
                              > CSM or CSPO already, although that won't be required. CSP, CSC, CST
                              > will be welcome.
                              >
                              > But I am asking you now: what would you want, what do you need from
                              > such a course?.
                              >
                              > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?
                              >
                              > The subtitle of the course is "Winning with Scrum". We want to
                              > encourage people in that winning spirit. So, what do you need to win
                              > (or win more) with Scrum?
                              >
                              > I am looking for 30 to 60 minute modules. But if you just have a
                              > burning question, that would be good.
                              >
                              > For this course, I am not looking for input from inexperienced people
                              > (although I would welcome input from inexperienced people about the
                              > CSM course).
                              >
                              > I have a lot of ideas already (Jeff Sutherland has lots more); I am
                              > still looking for that new idea. And, more likely, to put priority
                              > and focus on the ideas I have.
                              >
                              > Thanks for your help.
                              >
                              > Regards, Joe
                              >

                              > Joseph Little
                              > Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
                              > 704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
                              > 917-887-1669 (cell)
                              > http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
                              > http://leanagiletraining.com
                              > Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

                            • Kane Mar
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 6, 2008
                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sdunnrocket9@...> wrote:

                                > I would have benefited from some guidance on:
                                >
                                > - What to do when your agile project efforts are going well? What's
                                > the next step to capitalize on successful to move agile into the
                                > enterprise?

                                I've always like the concept of spheres of influence, or (metaphorically) ripples in a pond.
                                After the initial success, the message needs to be communicated to a wider audience. Of
                                course all companies are different, so there's no single recipe that can be applied across
                                the board. There are, however, a number of patterns that many companies tend to follow.
                                There aren't many articles on this topic, and the only two sources that I'm aware of are
                                myself and Hubert Smits. (Note: This is not a scientific survey so feel free to correct me! =)

                                You can find my articles here:

                                http://tinyurl.com/yox5yf
                                http://tinyurl.com/37a2ba

                                And you can find a pdf of huberts article on his blog:

                                http://hubert.blogs.com/dahdidahdi_dadadihda/files/cio_playbook_for_adopting_scrum_0
                                72505.pdf

                                Best regards,
                                Kane Mar
                                b: http://KaneMar.com
                                b: http://SeattleScrum.org
                                w: http://www.Danube.com

                                ps. If you prefer not to use tinyurl (some have concerns about spam) here are the direct
                                links:

                                http://kanemar.com/2006/02/20/an-enterprise-strategy-for-introducing-agile-part-
                                1-the-path-to-an-agile-enterprise/
                                http://kanemar.com/2006/03/11/an-enterprise-strategy-for-introducing-agile-part-
                                2-a-plan-of-action/
                              • Mike Sutton
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 7, 2008
                                  Tobias ,

                                  stop drinking the water this instant!

                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Mayer"
                                  <tobias.mayer@...> wrote:

                                  > And finally... Joe. Is this a clever way to publicize an upcoming
                                  > course and get around the SA recommendation that we don't do that?
                                  > Neat :-)
                                  >
                                  > > We will ask the participants what they want to learn about.
                                  >
                                  > I do that on my CSM courses... and coincidentally, I'll be running one
                                  > in NYC next week. A CSM course. New York City, 9-10 June. If you were
                                  > to be on my CSM course next week in NYC what would you like to learn?
                                  >
                                  > Kind of meaningless, eh? Self-directed learning is best when directed
                                  > by the learners, not by all those who won't be there.
                                  >
                                  > Tobias
                                  >
                                  > PS London is making me cynical, or something.
                                  >

                                  > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Little <jhlittle@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi,
                                  > >
                                  > > In late July Jeff Sutherland and I are leading an advanced course in
                                  > > NYC (Agile 201). We will ask the participants what they want to learn
                                  > > about. This is for people with some experience with Scrum. Normally
                                  > > CSM or CSPO already, although that won't be required. CSP, CSC, CST
                                  > > will be welcome.
                                  > >
                                  > > But I am asking you now: what would you want, what do you need from
                                  > > such a course?.
                                  > >
                                  > > From wherever you are, what would you want to learn about?
                                  > >
                                  > > The subtitle of the course is "Winning with Scrum". We want to
                                  > > encourage people in that winning spirit. So, what do you need to win
                                  > > (or win more) with Scrum?
                                  > >
                                  > > I am looking for 30 to 60 minute modules. But if you just have a
                                  > > burning question, that would be good.
                                  > >
                                  > > For this course, I am not looking for input from inexperienced people
                                  > > (although I would welcome input from inexperienced people about the
                                  > > CSM course).
                                  > >
                                  > > I have a lot of ideas already (Jeff Sutherland has lots more); I am
                                  > > still looking for that new idea. And, more likely, to put priority
                                  > > and focus on the ideas I have.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for your help.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards, Joe
                                  > >

                                  > > Joseph Little
                                  > > Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
                                  > > 704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
                                  > > 917-887-1669 (cell)
                                  > > http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
                                  > > http://leanagiletraining.com
                                  > > Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

                                • Michael James
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 7, 2008
                                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tobias Mayer" <tobias.mayer@...> wrote:

                                    > I do that on my CSM courses... and coincidentally, I'll be running one
                                    > in NYC next week. A CSM course. New York City, 9-10 June. If you were
                                    > to be on my CSM course next week in NYC what would you like to learn?

                                    Just wanted to let everyone know I'm not teaching any classes
                                    at all next week.

                                    Also, due to circumstances beyond my control -- the vastness
                                    of the Earth plus the technical challenges of being more than
                                    one place at a time -- odds are I won't be teaching in your
                                    particular city the following week.

                                    Nonetheless, I remain open to hearing what you'd like to learn,
                                    not that I'll be able to do much about it from wherever I'll be.

                                    --mj (putting a copy of "It's a Wonderful Life" in the mail for Tobias)
                                  • Joseph Little
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 7, 2008
                                      Hi Scott,

                                      "What to do when your agile projects efforts are going well"...tell us
                                      more.

                                      A book called Fearless Change addresses this some, depending on how
                                      you mean it.

                                      Also, depending on how you mean it, it gets back to getting people
                                      ready for the Long March, as I call it.

                                      However much success one has, there is always room to get better.
                                      This is facing the need for improvement every day.

                                      But perhaps I wasn't close to your meaning. Tell us. And your
                                      phrasing implies that you've learned a bunch since on this topic.
                                      Tell us.

                                      Thanks, Joe

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 7, 2008
                                        Hi Tobias,

                                        Your concern with "Winning with Scrum". Ummm.

                                        No, no one else is losing. But maybe it is a competition.

                                        From dust to dust, it has been said. "My name is Ozymandias, king of
                                        kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" As you may know, a
                                        person is reading this inscription at the now-ruin of Ozymandias' kingdom.

                                        Still, I think it is noble to struggle for success. To do one's best.
                                        And nobler still to do it in a good cause. And within moral bounds,
                                        respecting one's opponents.

                                        Children measure success on a silly basis.

                                        Adults work for success, knowing that it is transitory.

                                        Wise men, I am told, look at success in a different way. As the
                                        Bhagavad Gita says, we must do our duty, and leave the rest to God.
                                        The Bible says this too, in its way. As have many others. Federer
                                        might be saying something like this, as he prepares for Nadal.

                                        I want to see success in the eyes of the customers. I want to see
                                        success in the satisfaction of the workers. These kinds of success
                                        are consistent (albeit not always fully) with success measured by
                                        profits or shareholder returns, or such things.

                                        Many a golfer says that the competition is always with oneself. Not
                                        sure if that is a game you know.

                                        My purpose: I have too many topics myself. Yet I am also sure there
                                        are other topics than what I am thinking of. As you especially know,
                                        the real trick as an educator is to bring out the wisdom that is
                                        already there, and make it visible. This takes some cleverness and
                                        inspiration. No doubt Jeff Sutherland has his plan for the course; I
                                        am working on improving mine.

                                        Uniqueness: Every situation, every minute is unique. For each of us.
                                        But from another point of view, no situation is unique. Still, some
                                        are more common or more problematic than others.

                                        Regards, Joe

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 7, 2008
                                          Hi Tobias,

                                          Perhaps it is me, but you seem to be saying there is a stark dichotomy
                                          between lecturing and self-directed learning. With not much in the
                                          middle.

                                          I don't think things are that simple.

                                          The learner must learn. At the same time, the wiser one must figure
                                          out how to share his knowledge in a way that is compelling to the
                                          student. Both want to participate. No one's freedom is violated.

                                          Also, every student always carries with him many people; those whom he
                                          knew before, and those he will know. And the shared experiences of
                                          others help us sift the wheat from the chaff. Thus people "outside
                                          the room" can be helpful.

                                          Regards, Joe

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 8, 2008
                                            Joe,

                                            > you seem to be saying there is a stark dichotomy between lecturing and self-directed learning. With not much in the middle.

                                            I didn't say anything even close to this :-/

                                            Self-directed learning does not imply any particular teaching method, it just means that the student is involved in decisions about what is to be learned.  There is nothing to prevent the teaching method being a lecture if that is the best way to meet the learning goal.

                                            > No one's freedom is violated.
                                            Um... what?  I'm not sure where this came from either.

                                            But anyway, I'm sure there is value in finding out what people in general want to learn on an advanced Agile course, and the thread has thrown up a few interesting discussions.  Like I said, I was being overly-cynical :-|  Good luck with the course plan.

                                            Tobias

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 8, 2008
                                              Hi Tobias,

                                              I took you that way at first, so I wrote something like that. Before
                                              I sent it, a bit later, I re-read what you wrote, and realized I was
                                              likely wrong. So I qualified as "you seem..." I left it in because I
                                              think others have the views I mentioned.

                                              Yet another proof, if we needed one, that face-to-face is a better way
                                              to check for real understanding. (Well, maybe it just proves I need
                                              to be stupid at least once a day, but I didn't need a proof of that.)

                                              Regards, Joe

                                              <tobias.mayer@...> wrote:

                                              > Joe,
                                              >
                                              > > you seem to be saying there is a stark dichotomy between lecturing
                                              and self-directed learning. With not much in the middle.

                                              > I didn't say anything even close to this :-/
                                              >
                                              > Self-directed learning does not imply any particular teaching
                                              method, it just means that the student is involved in decisions about
                                              what is to be learned. There is nothing to prevent the teaching
                                              method being a lecture if that is the best way to meet the learning goal.

                                              > > No one's freedom is violated.
                                              > Um... what? I'm not sure where this came from either.
                                              >
                                              > But anyway, I'm sure there is value in finding out what people in
                                              general want to learn on an advanced Agile course, and the thread has
                                              thrown up a few interesting discussions. Like I said, I was being
                                              overly-cynical :-| Good luck with the course plan.

                                              > Tobias

                                            • Scott
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                Thanks for the book recommend. Looks good. I added to Shelfari.

                                                To answer your question - I specifically mean how to move from an
                                                organization that runs its projects using agile principles, to
                                                becoming an agile organization, as that should be the progression if
                                                there is success with agile projects (which there should be plenty).

                                                The challenge for me has been changing from telling a team "here's
                                                what and how we're going to do this" to _selling_ a broader agile
                                                (organization wide) to management. It means getting other departments
                                                to be willing to put their initiatives alongside others in a company
                                                backlog and prioritize for the right to resources. As is, they prefer
                                                working closed-door deals and smoke-and-mirrors in order to get needed
                                                resources. I can only guess that's due to fear of losing resources,
                                                being seen for value (or lack) the group has, or accountability.

                                                The CEO _loves_ the results from agile, but my boss (COO) said "the
                                                organization isn't ready" for enterprise agile. Just not sure where to
                                                go from here.

                                                I don't recall being coached on that, and I have to guess a little on
                                                what books or blogs are best for figuring out how to get from here to
                                                there. The domain seems to get much bigger going from agile projects
                                                to agile enterprise.

                                                Thanks for the reply,
                                                Scott

                                                --

                                                <jhlittle@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Scott,
                                                >
                                                > "What to do when your agile projects efforts are going well"...tell us
                                                > more.
                                                >
                                                > A book called Fearless Change addresses this some, depending on how
                                                > you mean it.
                                                >
                                                > Also, depending on how you mean it, it gets back to getting people
                                                > ready for the Long March, as I call it.
                                                >
                                                > However much success one has, there is always room to get better.
                                                > This is facing the need for improvement every day.
                                                >
                                                > But perhaps I wasn't close to your meaning. Tell us. And your
                                                > phrasing implies that you've learned a bunch since on this topic.
                                                > Tell us.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks, Joe

                                              • Joseph Little
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 10, 2008
                                                  Hi Scott,

                                                  Great issue. And I think many have it, or variations of it.

                                                  So one thing to say is that a bunch of firms run the whole firm using
                                                  Scrum. PatientKeeper, where Jeff Sutherland works, is one example of
                                                  that.

                                                  So, two things you might guess. One, the company runs a whole lot
                                                  better. Two, at the same time, wherever you are, you always see more
                                                  impediments. It is as though your eyesight gets better, so you can see
                                                  even more ways to improve. Israel Gat uses the elevator metaphor for
                                                  this: when you are in the elevator cab, you can't tell how much
                                                  progress you have made. Only by stepping outside the cab (safely we
                                                  hope) can you look and see that, compared to X, you are much better.

                                                  OK, so you want to change the opinion of a few people, and also of a
                                                  group of people. You want them to want to do Agile more.

                                                  You can go for small big changes or big small changes.

                                                  What do I mean? (a) Take a small segment (maybe one team) and do a
                                                  Trial Run on a big change. To show whether it will work (of course,
                                                  you probably know it will). (b) Take a small change and try to get
                                                  all agile teams to adopt it. Maybe after it has been "tested" by one
                                                  team.

                                                  Harder to do big big changes.

                                                  Don't do all the changing of minds yourself. It's not about you.

                                                  Little's Second Law: People are remarkably good at doing what they
                                                  want to do. So, help them see how it will help them in ways they want
                                                  to be helped. The good news is that Agile spins off lots of different
                                                  benefits, so usually any given person is benefited.

                                                  See the Fearless Change book. These and other practical suggestions
                                                  are there.

                                                  See also The Enterprise and Scrum by Ken Schwaber.

                                                  Keep talking. Be friendly. Love your enemies.

                                                  They will change; the only question is whether it will be in the
                                                  direction that you want. Some things, only after you work and work
                                                  and work and then have some big pain, do they pop out after 9 months.
                                                  It's wonderful how you made it happen. And how it happened to you.
                                                  Vaya con Dios.

                                                  Regards, Joe