Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Quick Poll: Take the Nokia Test

  • Nina Niskanen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      2008/6/1, Tobias Mayer <tobias.mayer@...>:

      > Does anyone actually know if Nokia are really doing Scrum? My guess is
      > that if Nokia see so little value in the empirical nature of Scrum as to
      > exclude it from their survey then they are probably not.

      Yes, they are doing Scrum.

      And a +1 to Peter. According to what info has been published and
      talked about in miniseminars here in Finland (the birthplace of
      Nokia), the Nokia test is hardly even the tip of the iceberg regarding
      Nokias agile adoption. To me at least the Nokia test is very
      indicative of whether or not a team is at all agile. They might get
      top scores with the test and still not do agile very well, but they
      are still agile/IID. That's the other thing; if memory serves me
      correct, the test is not to indicate, whether the team is doing Scrum,
      but whether the team is doing agile/IID.

      Nina
      --
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    • Joseph Little
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        I think Nina gets the idea.

        It is NOT a test of whether a team is doing Scrum well. It is whether
        one team is possibly doing something like Scrum (ie, a fair chance
        that they are not doing Waterfall and calling it Scrum, and a fair
        chance that they are not doing Cowboy Agile and calling it Scrum).

        It is to keep away from the worst smells.

        If you don't have a pitcher, if you don't call an out after 3 strikes,
        you are NOT playing baseball. Those questions don't say whether you
        are playing baseball. And certainly not whether you are playing at a
        major league level.

        Little Test: I will of course in my head use a Little Test to judge
        whether the teams I am working with a doing it "well enough for now".
        But I would never publicly declare a Little Test. I think it has to
        come from user firms. I welcome additional tests, such as the Exxon
        Mobil test or the IBM Test or the Sam's Web Design Test, etc. And one
        hopes they will listen to smart folks like you all in constructing
        their version.

        I think that Tobias and Peter and Nina raised some good issues. No
        test would be perfect (in my opinion), and certainly the Nokia Test is
        not perfect. Imperfection does not void its usefulness in some
        contexts. If you wait for perfection, you will wait too long.

        Regards, Joe

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Nina Niskanen"