RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Getting everything tested by the end of a Sprint

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 90 , May 30, 2008

      We ask Product Owners to define the highest priority work for the team so any interruption is, by definition, of lower value and not a valid interruption. Customer down, severity 0 interruptions are, of course, higher value. We ask teams to allocate time each Sprint for responding to these, if they are also maintaining production systems.

      The process a team uses to create an increment of potentially shippable functionality is continually improving. Who does what, who helps each other do what, and the nuances of what are done is as fluid as – yes – a rugby game. So to say that only a QA person does something, or that fixing a bug always takes two sprints is to condemn yourself to playing a game, building an increment, in a manner far less competitive and productive than others. Other people on teams act cross-functionally, applying skills rather than roles, and can fix bugs a whole lot quicker than two Sprints,

      Ken

      Message 90 of 90 , May 31, 2008

        We know have enough compelling success stories in various industries that the value proposition is that if you don’t do Scrum or something that provides its benefits, your company will either go out of business or have to subcontract to a company that has done the hard work to achieve the benefits. Scrum isn’t magic;  it is the illuminating framework within which the very hard work of self-improvement occurs. Either you do it, or you are left in dust.

        Ken