The Myth of "Voting someone off the island"

  • Malcolm Anderson
    Message 1 of 26 , May 13, 2008
      I've always heard the mantra in agile development that teams are self
      managed, and that if someone is not performing up to par that the team
      has the right to "vote them off the island".

      A year ago, I was on a team where this was done. The person was a
      contractor, and it was really apparent, really quickly, that they were
      a negative influence on the team.

      Because he was a contractor, we were able to say, "we don't want you
      any more, good luck"

      Now however, I've moved into corporate America and it doesn't seem to
      be that simple.

      Has anyone else had positive or negative experiences with voting
      someone off the island?

      Been voted off your self?
      If so, what did the company do correctly in your case.
      What could they have improved on?

      Thanks

      Malcolm
    • amanda@abelove.com
      Message 2 of 26 , May 13, 2008
        Negative people voted out of IT in corporate America?

        Let me file my TPS report and get back to you on that.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 26 , May 13, 2008

          We used to use “voting off the island.”  This was not a hire/fire event because sometimes it is a team “fit” issue.  Some members have had great results on other teams.  Too many of these events leads to separations for obvious reasons.

          I am becoming more sensitive to catchy phrases that extend beyond the meaning of the practices like Scrum (or Scrum-but) and Agile (“We’re Agile now but do not write automated tests or integrate or document or pair or…”).  Similarly, “Voting off the island” has issues in that this phrase extends further than it’s healthy meaning.  This phrase added some fear to it for those newer to Agilie.  Some teams forgot to use balanced conversation and conflict resolution skills first.

          On the other hand, as we de-emphasized this, teams did not have as much empowerment.  I am looking for a healthy version of “voting off the island.”

          Thanks,

          Brent

          Message 4 of 26 , May 13, 2008
            As I see it, Scrum is about the business, and cares nothing for people
            that cannot produce 100% every day.

            If a company is going to do scrum, if someone is not 100% useful, then
            the company should just fire them.

            Scrum is not for humans - it is for humanoids.

            Everyone is plug and play - just like parts in a machine.

            I'd love to hear to the contrary. I have not seen anything in the
            literature about the human aspects of scrum.

            Also, "teambuilding" cannot be forced or contrived - and team building
            takes time - and you cannot just take random people and expect a team to
            form on it's own - but companies do it all the time.

            > We used to use "voting off the island." This was not a hire/fire
            > event because sometimes it is a team "fit" issue. Some members have
            > had great results on other teams. Too many of these events leads to
            > separations for obvious reasons.
            >

            > I am becoming more sensitive to catchy phrases that extend beyond the
            > meaning of the practices like Scrum (or Scrum-but) and Agile ("We're
            > Agile now but do not write automated tests or integrate or document or
            > pair or..."). Similarly, "Voting off the island" has issues in that
            > this phrase extends further than it's healthy meaning. This phrase
            > added some fear to it for those newer to Agilie. Some teams forgot to
            > use balanced conversation and conflict resolution skills first.
            >

            > On the other hand, as we de-emphasized this, teams did not have as
            > much empowerment. I am looking for a healthy version of "voting off
            > the island."
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Brent

          • Malcolm Anderson
            Message 5 of 26 , May 13, 2008
              I'm not sure what company you are working for, and who your scrum
              master is, but they haven't been reading any of the books I've been
              reading, or getting training from the people I've been getting
              training from.

              Scrum is all about the people.

              There are people who see the word "sprint" and salivate about the
              productivity they are about to experience, but that just leads to burn
              out faster, thereby lowering your measured velocity, and being
              counter-productive.

              Last I checked, Scrum is about maintainable speed and personal development.

              I am truly interested in learning what caused you to form these
              opinions, as you are not the only one I've met with them and these
              beliefs confuse me.

              Thanks

              Malcolm

            • quinton@serv.net
              Message 6 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                I've had 4 scrummasters and worked on 7 different teams since the company
                I work for has been on scrum - starting about 1 year ago.

                It's not just me being moved around - most everyone here is switched
                around on teams frequently.

                Is the goal of scrum less than maximum possible output?

                Is there any group that goes to companies to "check if they are doing
                scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?

              • Jim McFarland
                Message 7 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                  On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM, <quinton@...> wrote:

                  > Scrum is not for humans - it is for humanoids.
                  >
                  > Everyone is plug and play - just like parts in a machine.
                  >
                  > I'd love to hear to the contrary. I have not seen anything in the
                  > literature about the human aspects of scrum.

                  Have you read the Agile Manifesto? http://agilemanifesto.org/ It
                  applies to Scrum and other agile processes.
                • Tobias Mayer
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                    > Is there any group that goes to companies to "check if they are doing
                    scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?

                    There should be!  We need The Scrum Police, or some sort of Scrum Inquisition.  We can have the SA certify the members of such a force.  CSI: Certified Scrum Inquisitor.

                    Tobias

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                      Is this the correct one?

                      I don't see how to deal with people who cannot give 100% -

                      What should a team do with an "UNmotivated individual" that was placed on
                      the team by management - without consulting the team?

                      Principles behind the Agile Manifesto

                      We follow these principles:

                      Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
                      through early and continuous delivery
                      of valuable software.

                      Welcome changing requirements, even late in
                      development. Agile processes harness change for
                      the customer's competitive advantage.

                      Deliver working software frequently, from a
                      couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a
                      preference to the shorter timescale.

                      Business people and developers must work
                      together daily throughout the project.

                      Build projects around motivated individuals.
                      Give them the environment and support they need,
                      and trust them to get the job done.

                      The most efficient and effective method of
                      conveying information to and within a development
                      team is face-to-face conversation.

                      Working software is the primary measure of progress.

                      Agile processes promote sustainable development.
                      The sponsors, developers, and users should be able
                      to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.

                      Continuous attention to technical excellence
                      and good design enhances agility.

                      Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
                      of work not done--is essential.

                      The best architectures, requirements, and designs
                      emerge from self-organizing teams.

                      At regular intervals, the team reflects on how
                      to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts
                      its behavior accordingly.

                      > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM, <quinton@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Scrum is not for humans - it is for humanoids.
                      >>
                      >> Everyone is plug and play - just like parts in a machine.
                      >>
                      >> I'd love to hear to the contrary. I have not seen anything in the
                      >> literature about the human aspects of scrum.
                      >
                      > Have you read the Agile Manifesto? http://agilemanifesto.org/ It
                      > applies to Scrum and other agile processes.

                    • Jim Schiel
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                        I've seen it happen in a large corporation with a regular full time employee. The plan was to try this employee out on another team and see what happened (there was no way we could fire him at this point -- we'd be setting ourselves up for a lawsuit). However, at that point, the employee quit on his own.  I guess it was just too embarassing.

                        Jim Schiel

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                          On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:49 AM, <quinton@...> wrote:
                          > Is the goal of scrum less than maximum possible output?

                          No, the goal is not "maximum possible output", the goal of scrum is
                          the maximum sustainable output.

                          A marathon runner *could* run the first 100 yards of a 26 mile
                          marathon as fast as they can (maximum possible output), but they won't
                          finish the marathon that way.

                          Is your company intending to be here 5 years from now? If so they
                          need sustained output, not maximum output.
                        • quinton@serv.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                            I think my company wants to SAY it is doing agile / scrum , but only
                            actually does the parts that are convenient. OK - I'll stop blaming
                            Agile / Scrum.

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                              Too bad there's no way to take a field trip to a company that is working
                              in Agile / Scrum effectively - but there's no way to see them in action
                              without learning trade secrets. . .
                            • amanda@abelove.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                Sounds like burnout central. Everyone needs a break between sprints.
                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                As I see it, Scrum is about the business, and cares nothing for people
                                that cannot produce 100% every day.

                                If a company is going to do scrum, if someone is not 100% useful, then
                                the company should just fire them.

                                Scrum is not for humans - it is for humanoids.

                                Everyone is plug and play - just like parts in a machine.

                                I'd love to hear to the contrary. I have not seen anything in the
                                literature about the human aspects of scrum.

                                Also, "teambuilding" cannot be forced or contrived - and team building
                                takes time - and you cannot just take random people and expect a team to
                                form on it's own - but companies do it all the time.

                                > We used to use "voting off the island." This was not a hire/fire
                                > event because sometimes it is a team "fit" issue. Some members have
                                > had great results on other teams. Too many of these events leads to
                                > separations for obvious reasons.
                                >

                                > I am becoming more sensitive to catchy phrases that extend beyond the
                                > meaning of the practices like Scrum (or Scrum-but) and Agile ("We're
                                > Agile now but do not write automated tests or integrate or document or
                                > pair or..."). Similarly, "Voting off the island" has issues in that
                                > this phrase extends further than it's healthy meaning. This phrase
                                > added some fear to it for those newer to Agilie. Some teams forgot to
                                > use balanced conversation and conflict resolution skills first.
                                >

                                > On the other hand, as we de-emphasized this, teams did not have as
                                > much empowerment. I am looking for a healthy version of "voting off
                                > the island."
                                >

                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Brent

                              • woynam
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                  Nobody expects the Scrum Inquisition!!!

                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Tobias Mayer
                                  <tobias.mayer@...> wrote:

                                  > > Is there any group that goes to companies to "check if they are doing
                                  > scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?
                                  >
                                  > There should be! We need The Scrum Police, or some sort of Scrum
                                  Inquisition. We can have the SA certify the members of such a force.
                                  CSI: Certified Scrum Inquisitor.

                                  > Tobias
                                  >

                                  > quinton@... wrote: I've had 4
                                  scrummasters and worked on 7 different teams since the company I work
                                  for has been on scrum - starting about 1 year ago.

                                  > It's not just me being moved around - most everyone here is switched
                                  > around on teams frequently.
                                  >
                                  > Is the goal of scrum less than maximum possible output?
                                  >
                                  > Is there any group that goes to companies to "check if they are doing
                                  > scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?

                                • davenicolette
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                    I've done it with four companies since last December. If you have a
                                    friend or former coworker who's working elsewhere, you can ask to
                                    visit their team. You may need to talk to the manager first to help
                                    him/her feel comfortable with you, or you may need to sign a
                                    non-disclosure agreement (I haven't had to do that yet). In any case,
                                    it's definitely possible to visit a team for a day or a half day and
                                    sit in with them, pairing and contributing to planning sessions and
                                    anything else they happen to be doing on the day of your visit. It's
                                    an enriching experience both for the visitor and for the visited team,
                                    since both bring insights to the table that the other hasn't thought
                                    of. Don't assume there's "no way." There are ways.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                      It's disappointing how quickly the "sustainable pace" part is thrown away in the name of getting stuff done faster!

                                      Jim Schiel

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                        Their chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and retrospectives. Two!
                                        Their two weapons are surprise, retrospectives, and incremental
                                        delivery... Can we start again?

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                          Agreed. With proper preparation, I've been able to give tours through Siemens (before leaving, that is...)

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 13, 2008
                                            Thanks for reminding me Jim!

                                            The first two scrums, we did have sustainable pace - and we completed all
                                            our tasks without leaving any technical debt - and I was feeling pretty
                                            good about it - then #3 - they added some tasks, told us we could slip
                                            some other tasks, and it was "only this time" - and then it became habit
                                            over and over. . .

                                            OK - I'm feeling better about that part now - since it actually did work a
                                            couple of scrums. . .

                                            > It's disappointing how quickly the "sustainable pace" part is thrown away
                                            > in
                                            > the name of getting stuff done faster!
                                            >
                                            > Jim Schiel
                                            >
                                            > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            >> Nobody expects the Scrum Inquisition!!!
                                            >>
                                            >> --- In
                                            >> scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com<scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                            >> Tobias Mayer

                                            >> doing
                                            >> > scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?
                                            >> >
                                            >> > There should be! We need The Scrum Police, or some sort of Scrum
                                            >> Inquisition. We can have the SA certify the members of such a force.
                                            >> CSI: Certified Scrum Inquisitor.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Tobias
                                            >> >

                                            >> > quinton@... wrote: I've had 4
                                            >> scrummasters and worked on 7 different teams since the company I work
                                            >> for has been on scrum - starting about 1 year ago.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > It's not just me being moved around - most everyone here is switched
                                            >> > around on teams frequently.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Is the goal of scrum less than maximum possible output?
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Is there any group that goes to companies to "check if they are doing
                                            >> > scrum" properly - and if not, forbid them from claiming to do scrum?

                                          • Petri Heiramo
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 14, 2008
                                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "davenicolette"
                                              <dnicolet@...> wrote:

                                              > Their chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and retrospectives. Two!
                                              > Their two weapons are surprise, retrospectives, and incremental
                                              > delivery... Can we start again?

                                              While scrolling down the Digest, I was already waiting for this one :).

                                              It seems there are quite a few Monty Python fans around.

                                              Yours, Petri

                                              Petri Heiramo
                                              Senior Process Improvement Manager, CSP
                                              Digia Plc., Finland
                                            • Nina Niskanen
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                2008/5/13 <quinton@...>:
                                                > I think my company wants to SAY it is doing agile / scrum , but only
                                                > actually does the parts that are convenient. OK - I'll stop blaming
                                                > Agile / Scrum.

                                                I think that's a pretty common problem and will get even more common
                                                as customers learn to expect and demand agile type development. CSI in
                                                this context would probably fix some of it, but who wants that job?
                                                And moreover who'd want to pay for someone doing that? Of course if SA
                                                or AgileAlliance were to provide CMM type certification it might
                                                happen, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. *shudders at the
                                                thought*

                                                I can't think of any other ways to get rid of this kind of behaviour
                                                than to educate the customers further to expect byproducts of true
                                                agile; sustainable pace, consistent high quality etc. Has anyone found
                                                any other way to solve this? Change your organisation -pattern does
                                                not apply. ;)

                                                Nina
                                                --
                                                I reject your reality and substitute my own.
                                              • Mike Vizdos
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                  Here is a possible solution.  Or not (smile).

                                                  Thank you,

                                                  - Mike Vizdos
                                                              Web:      www.implementingscrum.com
                                                                            www.michaelvizdos.com

                                                  =========

                                                  For a complete list of my upcoming workshops and public appearances please visit www.michaelvizdos.com/enroll.

                                                  Need a Mentor?  Take a look at www.michaelvizdos.com/telephone and please let me know your feedback and thoughts.

                                                  ==========

                                                  On May 13, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Malcolm Anderson wrote:

                                                  I've always heard the mantra in agile development that teams are self
                                                  managed, and that if someone is not performing up to par that the team
                                                  has the right to "vote them off the island".

                                                  A year ago, I was on a team where this was done. The person was a
                                                  contractor, and it was really apparent, really quickly, that they were
                                                  a negative influence on the team.

                                                  Because he was a contractor, we were able to say, "we don't want you
                                                  any more, good luck"

                                                  Now however, I've moved into corporate America and it doesn't seem to
                                                  be that simple.

                                                  Has anyone else had positive or negative experiences with voting
                                                  someone off the island?

                                                  Been voted off your self?
                                                  If so, what did the company do correctly in your case.
                                                  What could they have improved on?

                                                  Thanks

                                                  Malcolm

                                                • James S. Fosdick, PMP, CSP
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 15, 2008
                                                    I've seen it with both contractors and employees. As you point out
                                                    contractors are relatively low impact. With employees it's more
                                                    delicate. I did work with one organization were an FTE team member was
                                                    not working out. This person got voted off one "island" (read scrum
                                                    team) and was redeployed on another to see if maybe it was chemistry.
                                                    The same thing happened with the second team and the team member was
                                                    ultimately removed. I think with employees we just need to spend more
                                                    time trying to find out the source of the problem, but at the end of
                                                    the day if a team doesn't want to (or can't) work with a particular
                                                    team member it is fundamental to the principle of self organization
                                                    that we let the team remove the person. Otherwise we're only paying
                                                    lip service to self management.
                                                  • Quinton
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 16, 2008
                                                      I've read the military can only accept 1 out of 20 of the general population that is within it's age limits due to other disqualifying factors.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 16, 2008
                                                        In one case we had a 'come to Jesus meeting' and everyone put their
                                                        cards on the table about behaviors that were not working for the team.
                                                        We talked about what we would do to change those behaviors as
                                                        individuals and as a group. We also stated how we would hold each
                                                        other accountable. Finally we agreed to start those changes right NOW.

                                                        One person came to me (Scrum Master/PM) afterwards and said "Do we
                                                        really mean we have to change now?" I told them we agreed to start
                                                        changing our behaviors right NOW. That didn't mean be changed 100%
                                                        right now, just start changing behaviors and be prepared to be called
                                                        out on bad behavior.

                                                        The next day that person quit the company....

                                                        Another individual was assigned to just about every type of project we
                                                        had where I work. He was told he had to improve in certain areas,
                                                        mostly technical and personal organization, and was offered detailed
                                                        coaching from people who wanted him to succeed. In the end he quit as
                                                        well (that was after almost 2 yrs).

                                                        I think you have to give people time, support, training and
                                                        opportunity to succeed. If you have done all of that then maybe it is
                                                        time for that employee to find someplace to work.