Re: new book review--Agile Project Management with Scrum by Ken Schwaber

  • danube_tech
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
      My $0.02 on the new Schwaber book:

      Our organization recently implemented Scrum, and although the
      Beedle/Schwaber book was great to get us off the ground on Scrum
      theory, we immediately had many questions once we actually tried to
      implement it in real life projects. I agree with the notion that
      Scrum is conceptually easy to understand, but actually quite complex
      to implement correctly. This forum has been helpful, but we really
      needed a cohesive reference of situational problems. The APMWS book
      really hit the nail on the head and delivered what we needed the most:
      a practical guide to Scrum with anecdotes and "what happens if..."
      situations from real world Scrum implementations. This came just in
      time for us, and we are feeling more confident for our upcoming
      certification class.

      The appendices in the back are also very helpful. The "Rules"
      appendix is perfect as a quick introduction to Scrum for new Team
      members and Product Owners. It's actually quite detailed for being
      such a short appendix.

      Also, for newbies the three main Roles are very nicely explained. We
      had some misconceptions that were immediately addressed by this book.

      Anyway, from a Scrum newbie that is faced with implementation issues,
      thanks to Ken for putting together a real world implementation guide.

      -- Victor

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
      wrote:
      > I've been reading "The Da Vinci Code," which is quite a page turner.
      But,
      > when a new book by Ken comes along I'll put anything aside and read
      it.

      > So over the last two nights I read his new "Agile Project Management
      with
      > Scrum." I've posted a review of it on my site at
      > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/reviews/index.php. In short,
      though, the
      > book is wonderful. I was fortunate enough to read an early draft so
      this was
      > my second read through it and it was great reading-even better a
      second
      > time.
      >

      > --Mike
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
        I couldn't have phrased my intentions for the book better. I'm glad they
        were realized and appreciate your feedback. If you or others have comments
        on the book, I'd also appreciate your posting them to Amazon!
        Ken

        wrote:
        > I've been reading "The Da Vinci Code," which is quite a page turner.
        But,
        > when a new book by Ken comes along I'll put anything aside and read
        it.

        > So over the last two nights I read his new "Agile Project Management
        with
        > Scrum." I've posted a review of it on my site at
        > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/reviews/index.php. In short,
        though, the
        > book is wonderful. I was fortunate enough to read an early draft so
        this was
        > my second read through it and it was great reading-even better a
        second
        > time.
        >

        > --Mike

        Yahoo! Groups Links