Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum for Sales/Marketing/Creative Services?

  • Steve Freeman
    Message 1 of 18 , May 4, 2008
      The interesting thing about kanbandev is that David Anderson
      originally adopted it to throttle the work down to a level the
      (waterfall) team could cope with, the more exciting effects came
      afterwards. The other technique is that they allowed up to one
      expedited feature (customer emergency that just had to be done) in the
      system at a time, so they had an escape mechanism and could also
      measure how much the disruption cost.

      S.

      On 29 Apr 2008, at 15:18, Paul Oldfield wrote:
      > (responding to Scott)
      >
      >> For starters, they insist that fixed time boxes are
      >> impossible because of customer demands -- sometimes a
      >> 24-hour turn-around is necessary while other times they
      >> get several weeks...
      >
      > Almost all agile approaches use timeboxed iterations of
      > fixed requirements. There are just a couple of cases
      > where this is not appropriate, and needing a response
      > faster than can be done in the iteration is one of them
      > ... maybe.
      >
      > One such approach is advocated on the Yahoo 'kanbandev'
      > group mailing list... but it's not for the faint hearted.
      > I'm not an expert on that approach, but what they do
      > in essence is pick items off the backlog as soon as they
      > have the capacity, but they have a strict rule with
      > regard to capacity about how much work in progress is
      > allowed at one time. This means they could start a
      > new backlog item rapidly rather than waiting until next
      > iteration.
      >
      > Needless to say, there are a lot of other things that
      > need to happen for this to work; in effect everything WE
      > do between iterations needs to be fitted into their flow
      > for the regular work.
      >
      > Paul Oldfield

      Steve Freeman
      http://www.mockobjects.com