Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum / Agile Guidelines and Checklist

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1 1:42 PM
      banshee858 wrote:
      >> I agree, when the document states what the team members expect from
      >> each other, and when all the team members agree that it is the right
      >> thing to do, and agree on the content of the document. That is, when
      >> the document is the *result* of a conversation between all the
      >> affected people.
      >>
      >> That's not what I understood Michael's situation to be. It sounded to
      >> me as if the document codified what the team expected from "outside"
      >> members, and as if those possibly even hadn't been asked whether they
      >> wanted such a documented, and as if the document came *before* the
      >> conversation with all those affected. To the amount that this
      >> impression is correct, it would trouble me.
      >>
      > We don't know that.

      Correct. That's what I tried to express.

      > This could be the first draft or a starting point
      > for the discussion.

      In my experience, a document is seldom a good starting point for a
      discussion. And if it is supposed to be, it doesn't make much sense to
      get it *right*, anyway - in that case, we are simply the wrong people to
      get input from.

      > A lot of people do not understand what Scrum is
      > or how it works day-to-day, describing that makes things clear.

      And one of the base tenets of Agile - and therefore I guess also Scrum -
      is that face-to-face conversation is ways more effective than written
      communication. If we believe that to be true, we probably should act
      that way, too, shouldn't we?

      > FWIW, it is a little detailed for my taste and could be boiled down to
      > a few key principles that remind us of the details. Much like a user
      > story reminds us of the details of the requirements.

      I like that analogy! :)

      Cheers, Ilja
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1 1:48 PM
        e?

        > > FWIW, it is a little detailed for my taste and could be boiled down to
        > > a few key principles that remind us of the details. Much like a user
        > > story reminds us of the details of the requirements.

        I thought User Stories remind us to have a conversation and as such
        they are always still a little ambiguous...?

        -d

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • Tobias Mayer
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1 2:00 PM
          A little off-track perhaps, but this thread reminds me of an organization that I worked with about eighteen months ago.  The team members there created a charter for themselves, to indicate their sense of responsibility to the organization and the Scrum process.  This is it:

          Framework: We commit to following Agile principles to the best of our ability using the whole Scrum framework.
          Quality: We commit to building quality into our products at every stage of their development and to continuously review and improve our techniques for achieving this.
          People: We are professionals and have a responsibility to respect each other, act honestly, communicate openly and assist/seek assistance where appropriate.
          Process: We commit to working with the organization to define a minimal process to guide our activities over the duration of each sprint, empowering teams to get the job done.
          Growth: As individuals, we commit to enhancing and furthering our knowledge and to share that knowledge, as appropriate, with others at [this_company].

          I like the simplicity of this, and the fact it was generated by three teams, collaboratively. I also like that it is non-prescriptive and focuses on values rather than detailed tasks and activities.  The blog post I wrote about how this charter emerged is here:  Spiderman Says...

          A document like this is certainly a starting point for conversation.  I am not sure that the document Michael Wollin proposed will have that effect, mainly because I am not convinced people will even read it.

          Tobias

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:

          > banshee858 wrote:
          > >> I agree, when the document states what the team members expect from
          > >> each other, and when all the team members agree that it is the right
          > >> thing to do, and agree on the content of the document. That is, when
          > >> the document is the *result* of a conversation between all the
          > >> affected people.
          > >>
          > >> That's not what I understood Michael's situation to be. It sounded to
          > >> me as if the document codified what the team expected from "outside"
          > >> members, and as if those possibly even hadn't been asked whether they
          > >> wanted such a documented, and as if the document came *before* the
          > >> conversation with all those affected. To the amount that this
          > >> impression is correct, it would trouble me.
          > >>
          > > We don't know that.
          >
          > Correct. That's what I tried to express.
          >
          > > This could be the first draft or a starting point
          > > for the discussion.
          >
          > In my experience, a document is seldom a good starting point for a
          > discussion. And if it is supposed to be, it doesn't make much sense to
          > get it *right*, anyway - in that case, we are simply the wrong people to
          > get input from.
          >
          > > A lot of people do not understand what Scrum is
          > > or how it works day-to-day, describing that makes things clear.
          >
          > And one of the base tenets of Agile - and therefore I guess also Scrum -
          > is that face-to-face conversation is ways more effective than written
          > communication. If we believe that to be true, we probably should act
          > that way, too, shouldn't we?
          >
          > > FWIW, it is a little detailed for my taste and could be boiled down to
          > > a few key principles that remind us of the details. Much like a user
          > > story reminds us of the details of the requirements.
          >
          > I like that analogy! :)
          >
          > Cheers, Ilja

        • Ilja Preuss
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1 2:00 PM
            Michael Wollin wrote:
            > This document is for “inside,” if you include PO’s who are really
            > internal proxies for the actual customers. It is a continuation of an
            > ongoing conversation and a strawman draft offered up for comment by the
            > development team.

            OK, perhaps I misunderstood some of your previous statements. To the
            amount that this document just captures the results of your discussions
            in the Whole Team, that sounds good to me, in principle.

            In the rest of this post, I will comment on the form of the document,
            and ignore the content for now.

            I would probably try to get it a bit shorter, to boil it down to a list
            of essential working agreements. When it gets too long (say, more than
            seven bullet points that apply to my working), I'm not able to keep them
            in my head.

            I prefer working agreements stated in a way as if I'm already doing
            those things. The first of your points is already close:

            "We will use the Wiki to capture stories, and details in the story."

            Just remove the "will": "We use the Wiki to capture stories, and details
            in the story."

            Taking another example:

            "The minimum basic details must be entered into a user story at least 24
            hours prior to the sprint planning meeting by the product owner. If
            not, there is no requirement for the team to assess the story (they can
            if they want to, but do not have to)."

            I would reformulate that again to fit the above pattern:

            "The product owner enters the minimum basic details into a user story at
            least 24 hours prior to the sprint planning meeting."

            I'm uncomfortable with that second sentence, for a number of reasons. It
            has a strong defensive, threatening and divisive feel to me, and
            destroys the energizing effect the first statement could have. Therefore
            I would just scrap it.

            I hope you this helps.

            Cheers, Ilja
          • Ilja Preuss
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1 2:03 PM
              David H. wrote:
              > e?
              >> > FWIW, it is a little detailed for my taste and could be boiled down to
              >> > a few key principles that remind us of the details. Much like a user
              >> > story reminds us of the details of the requirements.
              >>
              > I thought User Stories remind us to have a conversation and as such
              > they are always still a little ambiguous...?

              I think that's what Carlton tried to say: the story (card) doesn't
              *contain* the details, it is just a token to help us remember the
              details that we got from somewhere else (discussions, acceptance tests,
              etc.)

              Cheers, Ilja
            • Michael Wollin
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1 2:50 PM
                Sure does help. Feel free to suggest more.

                On 5/1/08 5:00 PM, "Ilja Preuss" <it@...> wrote:

                > Michael Wollin wrote:
                >> This document is for ³inside,² if you include PO¹s who are really
                >> internal proxies for the actual customers. It is a continuation of an
                >> ongoing conversation and a strawman draft offered up for comment by the
                >> development team.
                >
                > OK, perhaps I misunderstood some of your previous statements. To the
                > amount that this document just captures the results of your discussions
                > in the Whole Team, that sounds good to me, in principle.
                >
                > In the rest of this post, I will comment on the form of the document,
                > and ignore the content for now.
                >
                > I would probably try to get it a bit shorter, to boil it down to a list
                > of essential working agreements. When it gets too long (say, more than
                > seven bullet points that apply to my working), I'm not able to keep them
                > in my head.
                >
                > I prefer working agreements stated in a way as if I'm already doing
                > those things. The first of your points is already close:
                >
                > "We will use the Wiki to capture stories, and details in the story."
                >
                > Just remove the "will": "We use the Wiki to capture stories, and details
                > in the story."
                >
                > Taking another example:
                >
                > "The minimum basic details must be entered into a user story at least 24
                > hours prior to the sprint planning meeting by the product owner. If
                > not, there is no requirement for the team to assess the story (they can
                > if they want to, but do not have to)."
                >
                > I would reformulate that again to fit the above pattern:
                >
                > "The product owner enters the minimum basic details into a user story at
                > least 24 hours prior to the sprint planning meeting."
                >
                > I'm uncomfortable with that second sentence, for a number of reasons. It
                > has a strong defensive, threatening and divisive feel to me, and
                > destroys the energizing effect the first statement could have. Therefore
                > I would just scrap it.
                >
                > I hope you this helps.
                >
                > Cheers, Ilja

              • aalanatlas
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2 10:43 AM
                  +1 cringe.

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Don Gray <don@...> wrote:

                  > Michael,
                  >
                  > > This is an excerpt of a document that we want to use to clarify
                  > > what’s expected from all concerned in our group. I would appreciate
                  > > some feedback.
                  >
                  > I cringed.
                  >
                  > I wondered what happened to "Customer collaboration over contract
                  > negotiation".
                  >
                  > I didn't get a sense of "let's figure out how to make this work."
                  >
                  > --
                  > Don (336)374-7591
                  >
                  > He who knows others is clever;
                  > He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  > Lao-Tzu
                  >
                  > Learn about yourself at the AYE Conference, Nov 2 - 5, 2008.
                  > www.AYEconference.com

                • the_1wkndr
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 5 4:48 PM
                    Hi Mike,

                    I've used a format that seems to work well for us in terms of clearly
                    identifying the event/time box (Sprint Planning 1)...then outlining
                    very simply who should attend (Team, Product Owner) and a bullet list
                    of what the inputs, actions and outputs should be. When I wrote the
                    training for our teams...I used this style to help them quickly grasp
                    the concept w/o getting to mired in a lot of details. To agree with
                    another poster...its the people that transform and the easier it is
                    for them to put into practice a new concept...the less patience you'll
                    need with the transformation! They'll get it!

                    I'm teaching a new team now how to use this outline to work with folks
                    in our organization who aren't quite fully Scrum trained. I tell them
                    if they know what the need and how to get it (ie. actions and outputs
                    from whatever event) they can speak intelligibly to the meeting guest
                    (might be an untrained product owner)...about what they need and how
                    they want to see it.

                    If you'd like a sample of the template, I'm happy to share.

                    Alicia McLain
                    San Diego, CA
                    http://www.scrumalliance.org/profiles/8895-alicia-r-mclain
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/aliciamclain

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > * The team may elect to address newly discovered failure modes or
                    tasks if
                    > they wish during sprint BUT it is essential that addressing these
                    new tasks
                    > does not impact the commitment to completing the other stories in the
                    > sprint. This is completely the teams choice and NOT management or the
                    > product owner. [For example, if the team chooses not to address the
                    task,
                    > and to put it on the backlog, the product owner does not have the
                    right to
                    > force them to work on it until the next sprint].
                    > * Stories not completed go back into the backlog at the end of the
                    sprint.
                    > Of course stories should have been completed based on the commitment,
                    > however external circumstances such as production support, illness,
                    etc.,
                    > may cause delays and when this happens the story must return to the
                    backlog.

                    > Sprint Planning Meeting Guidelines
                    > * During the sprint planning meetings we will look at the stories
                    identified
                    > for the current/next release.
                    > * We will pick stories from the release, ideally in order or
                    importance - if
                    > that has been identified
                    > * We will spend 20 (TWENTY) minutes on each story.
                    > * For each story we will address everything in the checklist that
                    follows.
                    > * If we are not complete when the 20 minutes is up we will add a 30
                    minute
                    > analysis meeting task and move on to the next story.
                    >
                    > Sprint Planning Checklist
                    > * Each individual will define how much time they have to commit to the
                    > sprint. Individuals must take into account the following when then
                    commit
                    > their time:
                    > > * There should be a reasonable amount of time set aside for
                    production support
                    > > issues.
                    > > * Note that all non-critical defects should go on the backlog. If
                    a defect
                    > > requires immediate work then it is a critical defect and is
                    covered under
                    > > production support time.
                    > * Look at a story and spend 10 minutes doing the following:
                    > > * Review the assumptions
                    > > * Review, clarify and expand on the acceptance criteria (*)
                    > > * Review and clarify the requirements
                    > > * Brainstorm the possible failure modes
                    > > * What happens if we run out of time? [we ask the team if they
                    want to
                    > > continue, if not then we skip the story]
                    > * Based on the acceptance criteria, requirements and failure modes,
                    spend 10
                    > minutes:
                    > > * Defining tasks required to implement this story
                    > > * Estimate how long each task will take in ideal hours
                    > > * If we run out of time we add a task called "30 MINUTE ANALYSIS
                    MEETING"