Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Backlog of technical tasks?

  • Rob Park
    Message 1 of 55 , May 1 9:32 AM
      I believe the crux of the issue is that it can be hard to justify technical stories in terms of business value.  If you can't make that justification, you can't prioritize it as part of the backlog.

      E.g. Why does the customer want/need me to refactor xyz() into class J?

      We all know the technical debt needs to be worked down, so some are saying just put it on the side and handle it as overhead via slack.

      On a healthy team, we handled as much debt as we could with each story as the story touched it.
      On a not yet healthy team, we are putting them on the sprint directly, because in fact it's easier to justify the customer value when you're having issues.

      .rob.
    • Michael James
      Message 55 of 55 , May 4 3:45 PM
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jeppe N. Madsen" <jeppe@...> wrote:

        > I've been skeptical about putting technical tasks on the backlog for
        > many of the same reasons listed in this thread. I think we should
        > make "the world a better place" one step at a time, by refactoring the
        > code as it's touched due to new requirements.

        Yes, and there's really no contradiction between these
        approaches once we see the Sprint Planning Meeting
        as a good faith negotiation.

        Normal technical debt should be paid off through
        the definition of "done" for product feature stories.
        Things like this might include refactoring away
        duplicate code, complex conditional logic, long
        modules, nested "catch" blocks, poorly named
        methods and classes, normal database schema
        changes, normal upgrades to third-party
        libraries....

        > If there really are technical debt that hinders
        > progress, this is an impediment.

        Yes, when progress on multiple fronts is impeded
        by severe fundamental underlying debt issues
        (often at the infrastructure level, like platform
        changes, major database changes, major library
        changes) it may be useful for the team to make
        it visible in the product backlog as a step toward
        breaking the repayment work into manageable
        pieces. Anyone can add items to the Product
        Backlog.

        Of course we still expect some feature delivery
        every Sprint.

        --mj