Re: [scrumdevelopment] Getting users on board for acceptance testing

  • Robert Biddle
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2008
      I've been reading this thread, and it seems to be the distinction between
      customers and users may be involved. Perhaps you could explain a bit
      more of the
      business context?

      Customers who want a system developed sometimes do not have the same
      viewpoint as
      users, even if the users are their employees. For example, if my
      employer pays to have a system
      developed and specifies something I don't want, then I am not going to
      be very helpful in testing the system.
      This actually happened to me once, when my employer contracted for
      software that I needed as a user,
      and then inserted all kinds of details for me to input my time in hours
      for projects I was working on.
      I argued, but they didn't change, and my interest in the software fell
      to nothing.

      This is even more true if the users have no obligation to the people who
      want the software developed.

      In the world of UI design, usability testers commonly recruit and pay
      people in the right demographic just to help them in this kind of
      testing. I think it's an idea where agile methods need to look to UI
      work for
      ideas...

      Cheers
      Robert