RE: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Balance to Extreme Pressure

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      Message

      Steven Gordon wrote:
      > I feel
      just as passionately that although the
      > concept is a very good one that
      I have already
      > been practicing in my own way,

      Steven:

      Interesting, that makes six different groups since this discussion started that
      are doing something similar.

      Just as I thought, this had to be a *very common thing*.

      I bet you there is more, maybe even *many more*.

      Steven Gordon wrote:
      > it is not
      class=267545817-01032004> intrinsically more balanced than
      > vanilla Scrum,
      class=267545817-01032004> XP, or any other form of agile
      > software development.

      Ah, but I am not saying is *more* balanced, I am saying that it is an *easier
      balance* to achieve, perhaps even a *minimal balance* when you get started.

      I also not saying is a "better balance" I am just saying it is easier to achieve.

      I think the strong arguments were clouding the space and making the concept
      hard to understand, which in my view is *very simple*:

          - do the simplest thing that works first (get to that "easy" balance) and then,
          - add more engineering practices (as you stay in balance)

      It is that easy.

      There are no promises of being a "better balance" or that an "overall balance"
      is included.  (No grandiose claims, .... just that it is easier.)

      Steven Gordon wrote:
      > Balance is a function of the
      entire context
      > (time, project, team,
      organization, customer,
      > market, etc.), not just the
      agility of the
      > methodology (or
      meta-methodology).
      I agree, but I never said that there was an "overall balance" promised in Balanced Agility ;-)

      Steven Gordon wrote:
      > To call any methodology "balanced" in and of
      > itself makes it harder for people to understand
      > this critical point.

      Just to clear a few misunderstandings:

          * Balance Agility is not a methodology is a minimal "engineering starting (balanced) point"
            using Scrum AND the commitment to stay in balance as you add more engineering
            practices.

          * It is not "balanced in and of itself", you have to struggle to keep your
            balance at two levels:

                  1) in doing the minimal "right things" to successfully complete the
                     software development cycles when you start scrumming and
                  2) in making sure that what you ask your development staff is realistic.

      Does this make sense?

      - Mike

      LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

      uses logic
      detail oriented
      facts rule
      words and language
      present and past
      math and science
      can comprehend
      knowing
      acknowledges
      order/pattern perception
      knows object name
      reality based
      forms strategies
      practical
      safe

      RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS

      uses feeling
      "big picture" oriented
      imagination rules
      symbols and images
      present and future
      philosophy & religion
      can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
      believing
      appreciates
      spatial perception
      knows object function
      fantasy based
      presents possibilities
      impetuous
      risk taking

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 1:41:49 PM, Mike Beedle wrote:

        > Balance Agility with Scrum:
        > The Easy and Minimal Road to
        > Agile Software Development

        I like the name "Balance Agility with Scrum".

        And I hope you understand now why a number of us don't like the name
        "Balanced Agility".

        I could be wrong, of course. It's just not the way to bet.