Lean/Scrum concepts in education

  • Robin Dymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      Ok, drinking on a Sunday in a Dutch town is not where I was expecting
      these concepts to show up. However my waiter Alexander was doing a
      great job recommending beers from their large selection, and we got
      talking about education. Alexander spent some time in Paris as an
      exchange student. He had a good time, but had to take 6 courses per
      semester. The first two months they partied, and then scrambled to
      recover the rest of the semester. He is now going to the U of
      Maastrict, and the big benefits he found here are:
      - 2 courses every 7 weeks. Focus, and keep up or fail.
      - Small groups of students working together and collaborating, no
      huge lecture halls with a prof talking at 200 students.

      Alex said he finds it way more effective for him to learn. He has to
      focus on two subjects whether he likes them or not. The exams every 7
      weeks are tough but much more manageable then 6 at the end of the
      semester.

      I think these ideas are much more important than trying to use scrum
      practices in education. The principles are providing value to students
      today.

      Thoughts?
      Cheers,
      Robin