Re: Daily stand ups

  • brett_a_bernstein
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 24, 2008
      I think one thing to keep in mind is that there is no 800-page
      playbook for Scrum or Agile [I do not have Ken Schwaber's book in
      front of me to check exactly but I know Mike Cohn's books top out at
      under 300-pages. ;) ])

      All jokes aside, what we have are a set of principals and a set of
      practices. In isolation, a given principal/practice provides certain
      benefits. When combined, I think collectively we would all agree that
      the whole becomes more then the sum of the individual parts.

      One challenge that I have continually come across when introducing new
      principals/practices is the flow rate. To much flow and people start
      to choke. To little, and they don't get to that "a-ha!" moment.

      So CJ ... I think your challenge is in part to figure out the right
      flow rate for your organization. It gets tricky since different flow
      rates might be needed for different levels (team vs. management) and
      different individuals (intellectually curious + ready to self-organize
      folks vs. those who really just want to be commanded + controlled).

      Good luck and let us know how it goes!

      Brett

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Don Gray <don@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      >
      > > I'm noticing a tendency of people on the list to prescribe
      > > solutions before understanding the problem.
      >
      > True. I attribute it to:
      >
      > - the way the question is asked.
      > - the limited bandwidth.
      > - we've all been there and want to be helpful.
      >
      > What's great about this list is the variety of offered advice.
      > /Some/ of this should be useful. Hopefully CJ will be able to decide
      > what might work.
      >
      > --
      > Don (336)374-7591
      >
      > The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can
      alter his life
      > by altering his attitudes of mind.
      > William James
      >
      > Change your attitude by attending the AYE Conference Nov 2 - 5, 2008
      > www.AYEconference.com

    • Peter Stevens
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 25, 2008
        Hi Brett,

        Thanks! This insight was really helpful for me in advising an existing- and a potential customer. I build a blog post around it: "Digesting Change".

        Cheers,
        Peter

        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM