Why is it important for software projects to go faster?

  • Clarke@chingz.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28 10:35 AM
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm currently writing up my MBA dissertation and I'm momentarily stuck.

      I want to show that IT development is a significant part of most product
      development projects and if we can speed up IT development (or even just
      make it more reliable) then product development will be faster (and we will
      get cash flowing in earlier, we'll earn more money longterm, we'll beat our
      competitors (or keep up with them), we'll react quicker, we innovate
      quicker, and so on.

      For instance, in my own organisation - financial services - IT makes up the
      critical path of each and every project and so IT is a huge bottleneck to
      product innovation.

      My problem is that I can't find a nice reference - book, article etc - that
      shows how important IT development is to product development in general.

      Anyone got any hints?

      Thanks
      Clarke Ching
      Scotland
      www.clarkeching.com
    • acockburn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28 11:38 AM
        ---> I recall seeing that Fidelity allocates something astonishing, like 40% of its budget, to IT development and is expecting more. I'm thinking a web search might turn up on articles on that -- that would be part of your ref set

        In a message dated 2/28/2004 12:28:38 PM Mountain Standard Time, lists@... writes:

        I want to show that IT development is a significant part of most product
        development projects and if we can speed up IT development (or even just
        make it more reliable) then product development will be faster (and we will
        get cash flowing in earlier, we'll earn more money longterm, we'll beat our
        competitors (or keep up with them), we'll react quicker, we innovate
        quicker, and so on.

        For instance, in my own organisation - financial services - IT makes up the
        critical path of each and every project and so IT is a huge bottleneck to
        product innovation.

        Alistair Cockburn
        President, Humans and Technology

        http://alistair.cockburn.us alistair.cockburn@...
        1814 E. Fort Douglas Circle, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
        Phone: 801.582-3162            Fax: 775.416.6457

        Author of
        "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects" (1998)
        "Writing Effective Use Cases" (Jolt Productivity Award 2001)
        "Agile Software Development" (Jolt Productivity Award 2002)

      • Stan Rifkin
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28 5:09 PM
          Here is a drawing from Accelerating Innovation by Marvin Patterson, 1993. I use to to explain why we have to go fast. There period from Ts to Te is fixed by the marketplace (unless you are the leader), so if you get to market late you will lose that segment of the window that had already passed.

          Hope this helps. - Stan

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28 5:18 PM
            On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 8:09:20 PM, Stan Rifkin wrote:

            > Here is a drawing from Accelerating Innovation by Marvin
            > Patterson, 1993. I use to to explain why we have to go fast. There
            > period from Ts to Te is fixed by the marketplace (unless you are the
            > leader), so if you get to market late you will lose that segment of the
            > window that had already passed.

            Nice, thanks!

            He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils. -- Francis Bacon
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28 6:59 PM
              Thanks, Stan,
              Ken
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                Clarke,

                I'll assume that the IT service you talk about support the products the
                financial firm sells or services in some way.

                Instead of focusing on the IT part how about building a "value chain"
                for the product itself which will contain the IT component?

                One way we look at IT-Reliant processes lay out the business process,
                the points in the process where cash or "value" in some way is
                generated, and the IT service needed to generate that value.

                Then build the plan for the product or service with the deliveries of
                the IT-reliant components. If the early delivery of a component - no
                matter if it IT or not - can be shown through simple ROI or even more
                complex methods. Once that's done, then you can focus back on "HOW" to
                deliver the IT components faster. I'd content that until there is a
                clear economic reason to deliver early, it may be interesting to the IT
                folks but ignores the larger business (products and services) management
                strategy.

                So:
                (1) Lay out the value chain
                (2) Identify the IT contribution points
                (3) Hang the IT delivery schedules off these to show up on time when the
                larger vision product manager needs them.

                Everything else is inside IT if you can be there on time/on budget with
                the right features for the financial services offerings.

                As far a literature goes, I'd start with CIO, Baseline, and other like
                that for case studies. Also the Harvard Business Review. Michael Earl at
                the London School of Economics,

                Glen B. Alleman

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Here is a link to an explanation that is more notional (less concrete) than some of the responses so far. - Stan

                  http://www2.cio.com/analyst/report2268.html
                • clarke_ching@standardlife.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                    thanks Stan. I've just been reading about this kinda stuff. Thoughtworks
                    have a an example of "Total Economic Impact" by the forrester crowd (that's
                    the subject of the link below) on their home page - www.thoughtworks.com.
                    It's only based on 4 projects and the projects were suggested by TW but it
                    makes for interesting reading (and objective advertising for TW).

                    Clarke

                    Stan Rifkin
                    <sr@master-syst To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                    ems.com> cc:
                    bcc:
                    01/03/2004 Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why is it important for software projects to go
                    19:40 faster?
                    Please respond
                    scrumdevelopmen

                    Here is a link to an explanation that is more notional (less concrete) than
                    some of the responses so far. - Stan

                    http://www2.cio.com/analyst/report2268.html

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
                    http://www.standardlife.co.uk/

                    The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian
                    Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and
                    regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 -
                    calls may be recorded or monitored. This confidential e-mail is for
                    the addressee only. If received in error, do not retain/copy/disclose
                    it without our consent and please return it to us. We virus scan and
                    monitor all e-mails but are not responsible for any damage caused by
                    a virus or alteration by a third party after it is sent.
                  • clarke_ching@standardlife.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
                      thanks Stan. Very useful diagram.

                      Stan Rifkin
                      <sr@master-syst To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                      ems.com> cc: (bcc: Clarke Ching/IS/SLC/StandardLifeGroup)
                      bcc: Clarke Ching/IS/SLC/StandardLifeGroup
                      29/02/2004 Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why is it important for software projects to go
                      01:09 faster?
                      Please respond
                      scrumdevelopmen