Re: [scrumdevelopment] [OT] new book review--Agile Project Management with Scrum by Ken Schwaber

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27 11:15 AM
      On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 10:21:53 AM, Marco Abis wrote:

      >>I wonder how soon we'll see a Scrum movie. Any suggestions for who would
      >>play Ken?

      > Michael Douglas? :)

      Walter Matthau?

      A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. -- Paul Simon
    • Edmund Schweppe
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27 12:31 PM
        Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 10:21:53 AM, Marco Abis wrote:
        >>> I wonder how soon we'll see a Scrum movie. Any suggestions for
        >>> who would play Ken?
        >> Michael Douglas? :)
        > Walter Matthau?

        Patrick Stewart. (Although he'll need a dialect coach ...)

        The real question is, who'll play Ron Jeffries?

      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27 1:53 PM
          We should probably stick to living actors! :)

          On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 10:21:53 AM, Marco Abis wrote:

          >>I wonder how soon we'll see a Scrum movie. Any suggestions for who would
          >>play Ken?

          > Michael Douglas? :)

          Walter Matthau?

          A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest. -- Paul Simon

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27 5:22 PM
            <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
            > On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 10:21:53 AM, Marco Abis wrote:
            >
            > >>I wonder how soon we'll see a Scrum movie. Any suggestions for
            who would
            > >>play Ken?
            >
            > > Michael Douglas? :)
            >
            > Walter Matthau?

            George Steinbrenner?
            http://www.grandstandinc.com/pages/1779.htm
          • Doug Swartz
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27 9:13 PM
              Friday, February 27, 2004, 2:31:09 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

              > The real question is, who'll play Ron Jeffries?

              Rade Serbedzija (Ron needs a more exotic accent)

              --

              Doug Swartz
              daswartz@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28 3:51 AM
                On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 12:13:30 AM, Doug Swartz wrote:

                > Friday, February 27, 2004, 2:31:09 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

                >> The real question is, who'll play Ron Jeffries?

                > Rade Serbedzija (Ron needs a more exotic accent)

                Looks to me as if he ought to play you!

                http://www.sonyclassics.com/broken/castpics/rade.jpg

                Speculation or experimentation - which is more likely to give the correct answer?
              • danube_tech
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                  My $0.02 on the new Schwaber book:

                  Our organization recently implemented Scrum, and although the
                  Beedle/Schwaber book was great to get us off the ground on Scrum
                  theory, we immediately had many questions once we actually tried to
                  implement it in real life projects. I agree with the notion that
                  Scrum is conceptually easy to understand, but actually quite complex
                  to implement correctly. This forum has been helpful, but we really
                  needed a cohesive reference of situational problems. The APMWS book
                  really hit the nail on the head and delivered what we needed the most:
                  a practical guide to Scrum with anecdotes and "what happens if..."
                  situations from real world Scrum implementations. This came just in
                  time for us, and we are feeling more confident for our upcoming
                  certification class.

                  The appendices in the back are also very helpful. The "Rules"
                  appendix is perfect as a quick introduction to Scrum for new Team
                  members and Product Owners. It's actually quite detailed for being
                  such a short appendix.

                  Also, for newbies the three main Roles are very nicely explained. We
                  had some misconceptions that were immediately addressed by this book.

                  Anyway, from a Scrum newbie that is faced with implementation issues,
                  thanks to Ken for putting together a real world implementation guide.

                  -- Victor

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > I've been reading "The Da Vinci Code," which is quite a page turner.
                  But,
                  > when a new book by Ken comes along I'll put anything aside and read
                  it.

                  > So over the last two nights I read his new "Agile Project Management
                  with
                  > Scrum." I've posted a review of it on my site at
                  > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/reviews/index.php. In short,
                  though, the
                  > book is wonderful. I was fortunate enough to read an early draft so
                  this was
                  > my second read through it and it was great reading-even better a
                  second
                  > time.
                  >

                  > --Mike
                • Ken Schwaber
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                    I couldn't have phrased my intentions for the book better. I'm glad they
                    were realized and appreciate your feedback. If you or others have comments
                    on the book, I'd also appreciate your posting them to Amazon!
                    Ken

                    wrote:
                    > I've been reading "The Da Vinci Code," which is quite a page turner.
                    But,
                    > when a new book by Ken comes along I'll put anything aside and read
                    it.

                    > So over the last two nights I read his new "Agile Project Management
                    with
                    > Scrum." I've posted a review of it on my site at
                    > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/reviews/index.php. In short,
                    though, the
                    > book is wonderful. I was fortunate enough to read an early draft so
                    this was
                    > my second read through it and it was great reading-even better a
                    second
                    > time.
                    >

                    > --Mike

                    Yahoo! Groups Links